Hazards not working on 85 K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy Joe

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just purchased a 1985 Chevy K10 and the hazard lights don't work. All other lights appear to work properly. When I turn on the hazard lights, I can hear about 6 or 7 rapid clicks and a slight dimming of interior lights, then the hazard fuse blows, which sounds like a short to me. I'm completely new to these trucks and not sure how to find the problem.

What I've tried so far:

1. Swapped flasher pots from turn signals to hazards, and turn signals still worked, so the flasher is fine.

2. Hooked a wire from the battery positive terminal to a spare flasher and from the flasher to the wire bundle feeding the front marker lights (3 dark brown wires bundled together which go to the left marker light, the front marker light and head off to the right side). When I hooked the wire from the battery through the spare flasher to this bundle, the hazard lights blinked normally, until I turned on the headlights, at which time they stopped blinking. (This was done with the truck off) I was trying to determine if the problem was in the lights or the switch. My thinking here was that by creating my own blinker circuit outside the dash it would show if the problem was in the dash/column or in the bulbs/wires to the bulbs.

Since that test was mostly successful, although I have no idea why they would stop blinking when the headlights were turned on, I'm guessing it may be the switch or in the dash somewhere. I have the wiring diagrams, but they show an orange wire and the previous owner appears to have spliced in his own colors and I'm not sure how to check the whole wire for shorts anyway since they seem to be connected to so many things.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I just purchased a 1985 Chevy K10 and the hazard lights don't work. All other lights appear to work properly. When I turn on the hazard lights, I can hear about 6 or 7 rapid clicks and a slight dimming of interior lights, then the hazard fuse blows, which sounds like a short to me. I'm completely new to these trucks and not sure how to find the problem.

What I've tried so far:

1. Swapped flasher pots from turn signals to hazards, and turn signals still worked, so the flasher is fine.

2. Hooked a wire from the battery positive terminal to a spare flasher and from the flasher to the wire bundle feeding the front marker lights (3 dark brown wires bundled together which go to the left marker light, the front marker light and head off to the right side). When I hooked the wire from the battery through the spare flasher to this bundle, the hazard lights blinked normally, until I turned on the headlights, at which time they stopped blinking. (This was done with the truck off) I was trying to determine if the problem was in the lights or the switch. My thinking here was that by creating my own blinker circuit outside the dash it would show if the problem was in the dash/column or in the bulbs/wires to the bulbs.

Since that test was mostly successful, although I have no idea why they would stop blinking when the headlights were turned on, I'm guessing it may be the switch or in the dash somewhere. I have the wiring diagrams, but they show an orange wire and the previous owner appears to have spliced in his own colors and I'm not sure how to check the whole wire for shorts anyway since they seem to be connected to so many things.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It almost sounds as if the headlights are somehow cross connected to the turn signal/flasher wiring. A rapid flash rate of a circuit controlled by a thermal flasher relay is indicative of excessive current flow.

But what doesn't make sense is that you have no problems when operating the turn signals and - after the MFS (multi function switch in the column) - the turn signals are on the same circuit as the e-lights.

As an initial diagnostic, you might try unplugging the H/L's and operating the hazards - just to see what happens. Also, while they are unplugged, try the H/L switch in both the parking and headlights positions.

BTW - do you have the base (two headlight setup) or the quad HL option?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28