Have to store outside. Truck Cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Anyone have any suggestions on a quality cover that I can use for my '83 K20? Trying to find a place to store her inside, but no luck thus far.

She's a beaut, and I hate the though of leaving her in the elements unprotected.

Thanks!

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
how about a portable garage like shelterlogic?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I’ve purchased two covers from this company. These are made in the U.S. and are custom designed to fit each vehicle, not just some oversized bag that blows off in the wind. Lots of material options depending on your needs.
https://www.carcoverworld.com/car-covers

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
IME long term storage outdoors under a cover is actually worse than just parking it outside. They tend to trap in humidity/moisture and are very inviting to pests. Yes they stop water from directly hitting the top of the car in a rainstorm, but then the water flows under the car and will evaporate upwards under the cover and have no place to go, leaving the car damp and musty all the time.

Sure the car will get covered by pollen and get hot in the sun without a cover, but some semi-regular cleaning and even something as simple as window shades or a piece of cardboard over the dash can make a big difference. If you can't park it indoors maybe you could construct a carport or use one of those temporary "tarp garages" (not sure what they're technically called). The only real drawback of using those is that they can collapse under the weight of a heavy snowstorm, which I really really doubt would be a big problem in Houston.

Hah, the only car in my driveway I have under a cover isn't there to protect it from the elements, it is to protect my neighbors from having to look at my smashed up parts car.

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Hoa's suck!! Lmc has some for a very reasonable price.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
As stated by reckless WOT long term storage under a cover is worse than just leaving it exposed.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
IME long term storage outdoors under a cover is actually worse than just parking it outside. They tend to trap in humidity/moisture and are very inviting to pests. Yes they stop water from directly hitting the top of the car in a rainstorm, but then the water flows under the car and will evaporate upwards under the cover and have no place to go, leaving the car damp and musty all the time.

Sure the car will get covered by pollen and get hot in the sun without a cover, but some semi-regular cleaning and even something as simple as window shades or a piece of cardboard over the dash can make a big difference. If you can't park it indoors maybe you could construct a carport or use one of those temporary "tarp garages" (not sure what they're technically called). The only real drawback of using those is that they can collapse under the weight of a heavy snowstorm, which I really really doubt would be a big problem in Houston.

Hah, the only car in my driveway I have under a cover isn't there to protect it from the elements, it is to protect my neighbors from having to look at my smashed up parts car.

As I mentioned, I wish I could build a cover for her. I'm looking at selling my place and getting into a bit of property within the next 6 months or so. When that happens, I'll be able to put up a cover for her. Until then, I was just wanted to keep her out of the elements a bit during the week. My wife and I are always finding excuses to drive her somewhere, and are always tinkering with this or that. lol

Thanks!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A cover won’t rot out your vehicle. At all. Well Maybe if you let it grow over in the woods or something.
Keeping the rain off isn’t the problem as you know, but rather the sun.

Muddybuddy

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I have one of the lmc overs for my very clean ‘87 k5. Cover fitment is very good. Had it about 3 months so far. I’m hoping to find a way to store indoors or get a carport of sorts. They key to car cover is allowing it to breathe regularly, as mentioned humidity/moisture can get trapped, as well as pests/insects. I try to take cover off every week for a couple hours to let it breath. Like i said, really want to get it indoors, hoping to come up with solution eventually for near term this was best I could do.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
i would vote no cover. If you cover it your more likely to ignore it and not know what's going on under the cover until it's to late. If the truck leaks water inside then it's a different story, but if it's tight I'd vote window shade in front window, and good coat of wax or better yet polymer "wax" on the body. Wash it once a month or every 6 weeks or so. Reapply your flavor of "wax" as needed. Should keep deterioration to a minimum and you can monitor it.

Heck you can, and I have done this, throw a space heater in it once a month for the afternoon with a window cracked to drive out any moisture in the interior. Slap a coat of whatever you like to use on the vinyl interior parts as well.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Look at it this way. They don’t call them barn finds if they’ve been sitting in a field for 20 years getting cooked by the sun, rusted by the rain where the paint got baked off and **** on by every passing bird
A cover is a miniature personal barn….

mtnbiker727

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4BBL
I got the cheap LMC cover for mine to keep the dust off, but it's stored inside... If I don't crack the windows, it will get moldy inside the cab, even when stored inside with the cover on.

Yes, generally speaking covering is better than not covering, but...

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
I have found that covering the vehicle does more harm than good, even in Alaska.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400