Hard Start - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hi fellas!

I have a starting issue that I am theorizing is a timing issue. I bought this truck from the original owner. Old timer was in his 80s and 'interviewed' perspective buyers because 'he never sold anything he liked before'. I asked him why he didn't give the truck to his son and he said because his son was an idiot - lol. He was right - his son had the Midas touch only everything he touched turned to, well...you know.

The ignition switch broke so he replaced the column from a JY dog. Now, only the speedo and oil pressure gauges work. He pulled the Q-Jet (I have it and its been professionally rebuilt) and mangled the pre-bent fuel line to fit a Holly 650....ripping off all the vac lines while he was at it. The best one was replacing the distributor. I had a shop change the starter (one that came with it was an autozone reman that the nose was broken on). Got a new Bosch HD rated for diesels and BB. Guy asks me why the timing was set at 22 degrees advanced (no idea how he measured it that high). I told him thats because its where the cerebralplegic dropped it in the hole at. Guy said he dialed it back to around 10. Dunno - haven't had time to check it yet.

Anyways, here's a video of how it starts cold. After its warmed up, it starts fairly quick and normal. However, if you get into the throttle at all (even from a stop light), many times it will sputter and act like it wants to backfire (doesn't). Next week I'm digging into this thing for timing, water pump (its original), etc.

Warning: its fugly so viewer discretion is advised.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
First thing I start by charging the battery, cleaning the battery posts and connectors (including grounds), check the connection at the starter and check the ground from battery to chassis and battery to cab body.

I almost fell out of my chair watching that video.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
That was like torture, man.
I was waiting for the smoke to start billowing out of something.
Hopefully that noise is just how it comes through on the video.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What you see (and hear) is how it is. The battery is a new Interstate - new cables, ground wires, etc. Had a buddy theorize it might be a cracked cap with moisture / arcing....once started its dried out - ?! I suppose anything is possible at this point.

It sounds almost like the starter is binding, but if so, then why doesn't it do it every time and not just when its cold. I did this at 10AM today - went out at 9:15PM and it fired right up. The other thing that gets me is the sputter/stumble under load, then it smooths out at speed.

I have a 99 5.7 w/4L80e to go in this truck (eventually) but gotta get it reliable to use in the meantime til I can sell a kidney or something to finance the project.

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I've never heard an engine make that noise. Mine sometimes does a slow crank but, not like that. Lol, sorry that happens to you. I'd think it'd be connections I'd check like stated above. If not that. Starter?

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I've never heard an engine make that noise. Mine sometimes does a slow crank but, not like that. Lol, sorry that happens to you. I'd think it'd be connections I'd check like stated above. If not that. Starter?
I'd say starter.
Make sure it's not loose, then replace it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The starter was just replaced at a shop. Its a HD Bosch rated for diesels and big blocks. The original screeched like nails on a chalk board....mechanic said the nose of the starter had broken and that the timing was way advanced.

If I cant narrow this down, end of next week I intend on pulling it all apart - distributor, cap, plugs, timing chain, etc. and starting over. The cerebralplegic that messed with it is responsible for everything else thats wrong with the truck and the distributor is a new one that he put in.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Never take a shop’s work for granted unless you really trust them. So there’s a new cable from battery positive to the starter and the battery and engine block both have good grounds to the frame? I’d go thick on everything. 2ga or larger and make sure the frame is clean metal where the cables are mounted.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’ve never heard a sound like that come from the engine. It’d be good to check your initial voltage, the voltage drop when trying to start, and your charging voltage both at the back of the alternator and at the battery to see how they compare. My eyes are fixated on the accessories as it makes that quacking noise. I might pull off the belts and see if it still does that with no accessories being driven.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is your timing way too advanced ??

Thats my theory. The PO's son is who put the new distributor in (no idea what was wrong with the old one if anything) - and I also wouldn't be surprised if its not a tooth off. Still what throws me on it is that if its a binding starter or something voltage related (battery, cables and grounds are all new - test fine), then why doesn't it do it every time. Once I go through this to start it - and sometimes it doesn't even go this long - its fine the rest of the day. Then there's that stumble under acceleration.

We currently have 6 vehicles where there is logistics for 3. One leaves Tuesday for good, another goes to paint a day after - then I'll be able to rearrange the deck chairs so that I can tear into this without blocking anything in. If anything goes sideways and I cant get it started again, to move it where it sits would be like Springer cutting the 600lb guy out of his house.

Thanks for all the input fellas - keep it coming.....need all the help I can get :)

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Another thought, what if your starter is too tight?

Shimming the starter is easy and cheep.
You are reading my mind. First thought was bad connections, dying battery or alternator but my next move would be this. Pull the starter off and reinstall. Hell, just loosen it and reinstall. Maybe that hd starter isn't mating up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr