Harbor Freight Flashlights/Batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
For years I would always get the free HF flashlights. I just tossed them into a storage bin in the garage to use "someday."

Lately, when I went to use them I found the batteries had corroded and ruined the lights.

From now on I'll remove the cheap batteries before storing them.

Just thought I'd pass along the advice to save others from having the same thing happen to them.

Not a big deal but going to use a light and finding it useless is aggravating.

Probably good advice for anything using the cheap batteries from HF. (This isn't unique for HF only, had other lights with "cheap" batteries do the same thing.)

Also, I've been using only Duracell batteries in my Maglites for the same reason. Duracell will cover the cost of your light if it happens with their batteries. At least they did a few years ago.

Okay, I'm done whining.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I had some duracells go bad inside my maglite. They swole up and I cant get them out. Learned my lesson after that.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I had some duracells go bad inside my maglite. They swole up and I cant get them out. Learned my lesson after that.
Just had this same thing happen to of my mag lights. I don’t remember what brand they are though. Any way to get them out, or am I just out a flashlight?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Their magnet back free lights are handy when working on shut but not reliable so only get them when they are free with another purchase.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Just had this same thing happen to of my mag lights. I don’t remember what brand they are though. Any way to get them out, or am I just out a flashlight?

I tried and tried with no luck. Out a flashlight. I cant see getting the battery pack out without destroying it. Duracell should cover under warranty but I dont want to try that route. Maybe one day when I dont have a lot going on and a surplus of patience I'll give it another go.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I tried and tried with no luck. Out a flashlight. I cant see getting the battery pack out without destroying it. Duracell should cover under warranty but I dont want to try that route. Maybe one day when I dont have a lot going on and a surplus of patience I'll give it another go.

put it in a freezer or outside in the cold, the temp might help the battery shrink and then be removed.

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
This thread reminds me of seeing reciprocating saw blades for really cheap at a discount store. I forget the brand. But I made that mistake of buying them. But it wouldn't matter if they had a "free" sign in front of them. They were worthless. There are things sold brand spanking that are worthless. You should even walk buy if it says "free" next to it.

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Its like going to menards and buying a tool shop angle grinder for $15. Its not worth $15. Just walk on by

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Years ago I bought a harbor freight "dremel" tool. I've gotten crap in my eye before working under cars and it hurts so I'm almost always wearing eye protection now and thankfully something told me to use with this thing because the little cutoff disc shattered on touching this hard plastic I was cutting and bounced off my goggles. The tool itself works well enough but man I wouldnt use that disc to cut twine.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Years ago I bought a harbor freight "dremel" tool. I've gotten crap in my eye before working under cars and it hurts so I'm almost always wearing eye protection now and thankfully something told me to use with this thing because the little cutoff disc shattered on touching this hard plastic I was cutting and bounced off my goggles. The tool itself works well enough but man I wouldn't use that disc to cut twine.

I bought one of those. Threw it in the garbage and my son-in-law dug it out. Says it worked for his purpose but I wouldn't waste my time carrying that POS out of the store. Vibrated like mad!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That's good advice for battery-powered tools that don't get much use. However, I've seen batteries leak when the tool was still working, so I now I try to remember to change batteries in my multi-meter and other test equipment every 1-2 years.

Doesn't seem to be a problem with "watch" batteries used in digital calipers. They just stop working without puking all over the place.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I had duracells do that to one of my 6 cell flashlights too. I wrote to Duracell about it. They got back with me and asked me some questions like how was it stored etc. I told them it stored in mounting brackets on the floor of my truck next to the driver seat and I sent pics of the light in the brackets. I got an apology letter and instructions where to send them the light with the affected batteries still in it. About 2 months later I got a brand new 6 cell mag light and 2 new 4 packs of D batteries in the mail. That's been about 12 or 13 years ago now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
To hell with those cheap FREE flashlights. I have plenty of those too. I usually gave them to the kids and grandkids in their stockings at Christmas. They're good for the kids to play with. Being in tornado alley and losing power in bad storms, I've always made sure the kids had their own lights and taught them to keep them handy in a place they can get to in the dark, like on a nightstand or their underwear drawer so they always know where there's a light to find their way around the house in the even we lost power at night to get to the oil lamps and light them.

Those Quantum and newer brand LED lights at HF are the **** though. Good quality lights and use very little battery power. I use the hell out of them working the tow truck at night now. I have the headlamp too. Works great. The one LED with magnetic base and pocket clip is great for filling out paperwork in the pitch black dark.

carlgm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Truck Year
'85
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Try to invest in a good flashlight. I have a Streamlight Strion. It's been dropped many times and no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28