HA!!! I WIN!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
After struggling for weeks with this dumb brake drum, I FINALLY got it off. I did everything I could think of.

-Welded a 5' long bar to a wheel and lowered the truck down onto it to try to torque it loose
-Removed the wheel cylinder and parking brake boss
-drilled out the pad posts
-soaked the whole thing with penetrating oil and alternated with heat
-beat the tar out of it with a 4# sledge
-took the axle shaft and bearing nuts out
-drilled through either side of the drum and used a punch to try to knock the pads loose

Finally I put a big ol' gear puller on it and with alternating pulling and whacking, it finally broke loose. Guess I'd better get on rock auto and order 2 whole sets of new brake parts.

You must be registered for see images attach

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@tpripps Congratulations, you WON!!!........this is just the beginning!!!!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd like to yell some curse words here but I'll be nice. Glad you got the ******* *ODD**** thing off!!! But the other side just fell off didn't it? I hate that. And every time I just start to feel some resistance I get that feeling, "Oh man!"

So, what do you think was holding it on? You may need to find out, although right now I'm sure you're not in the mood. You're just glad it's off after all the effort you went through to get it off, it's off who cares what it was! But if it happens again you'd know what to do when you go back on with it so it won't hang up next time.

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I'd like to yell some curse words here but I'll be nice. Glad you got the ******* *ODD**** thing off!!! But the other side just fell off didn't it? I hate that. And every time I just start to feel some resistance I get that feeling, "Oh man!"

So, what do you think was holding it on? You may need to find out, although right now I'm sure you're not in the mood. You're just glad it's off after all the effort you went through to get it off, it's off who cares what it was! But if it happens again you'd know what to do when you go back on with it so it won't hang up next time.
Seems like the pads were, for lack of better term, "glued" to the drum. I know they aren't iron and they shouldn't "rust" to the drum, but they were so stuck tight to that drum that I couldn't pry or pound them off of the drum till I got the gear puller on them. I haven't tried the other side yet since it's spins "freely". But when I get to the point of replacing the brakes, i'll do both sides and find out how stuck the passenger side is too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep