grille replacement recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'm stashing the original grill and bezels until a later when I have more time to properly prep and paint them. I'm looking for something quick, easy and relatively cheap to stand in their place in the meantime. I've done a quick query on the interwebs and see there are many options for aftermarket replacements. I usually default to summit, as I've had mostly good experiences with their customer service thus far. I was looking at a Goodmark grille and Sherman bezels. they're really cheap. only about $60 for all three plus an extra $20 shipping on the grille due to it's size.

are these units complete garbage? does anyone have 'em? any suggestions otherwise, keeping in mind I'm just using them for around a year until I get around to restoring the originals?

TIA

You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had the cheaper version of those on 85 and it was ok. The cheapest 89-91 bezels that I found new were nowhere close to fitting.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
To ensure they fit right, the grill should match the steel brackets mounted on your truck.

My OEM '75 brackets would work with an original grill, but '75 grills are are hard to find. The grill I found from about a '79 fit in the opening, but screws did not line up. I had to go back to the junkyard and pull the mounting brackets from the donor truck because nothing would line up with my stock '75 brackets.

Bruce

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
To ensure they fit right, the grill should match the steel brackets mounted on your truck.

My OEM '75 brackets would work with an original grill, but '75 grills are are hard to find. The grill I found from about a '79 fit in the opening, but screws did not line up. I had to go back to the junkyard and pull the mounting brackets from the donor truck because nothing would line up with my stock '75 brackets.

Bruce

Apparently the '75-'76 GMC grilles use the same brackets as all the '73-'74 trucks, and the '75-'76 Chevy grilles use the same brackets as all the '77-'80 trucks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm stashing the original grill and bezels until a later when I have more time to properly prep and paint them. I'm looking for something quick, easy and relatively cheap to stand in their place in the meantime. I've done a quick query on the interwebs and see there are many options for aftermarket replacements. I usually default to summit, as I've had mostly good experiences with their customer service thus far. I was looking at a Goodmark grille and Sherman bezels. they're really cheap. only about $60 for all three plus an extra $20 shipping on the grille due to it's size.

are these units complete garbage? does anyone have 'em? any suggestions otherwise, keeping in mind I'm just using them for around a year until I get around to restoring the originals?

TIA

I've installed the same style aftermarket grilles before. The fit was decent. They were from a local auto body supply store, so probably Tong Yang brand. I'd bet the farm that all the Goodmark, Sherman, LMC, etc truck grilles all come from the same supplier. I used to get them locally for about 30 bucks too.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I have a replacement headlight bucket, and original buckets. THe originals are pot metal and solid, the replacements feel like dollar store alluminum pans. THey are absolute trash compared to OE, although it fits the truck and does the job.

Grille, for me, my 79 repo grill has no bowtie or provision for one, otherwise it fit fine and again, did the basic job.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Thanks for the replies. I got tired of my harbor freight media blaster making a mess and clogging frequently. I may just get the “commercial” blasting enclosure and a better blaster. I really like baking soda for softer parts like plastic, but it can be a pita. Unfortunately, my grill and bezels have argent silver gooped over the original green. They need to be cleaned up a bit before I can paint them.

carlgm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Truck Year
'85
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If you bought one, please post a short review. I'm curious about its quality and fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28