Green Dex G05 or one size fits all

which coolant

• Dex Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
OK my brass copper radiator is out being rodded out. when i get it back what coolant do i use???? My first choice is good old green original however im having a hard time finding a name brand coolant in green. Everyone sells their "house brand" auto-zone oriely etc. Im really reluctant to use them there is no telling what quality im getting. Could be green camel piss for all i know. Every one carries DexCool there is not a chance in @#$% that i would use that @#$% in a car that wasn't already contaminated with it. Next is G05 seams to have a good following and easily available. According to Zerex the corrosion rate to solder copper brass is equal or lower than there green and aluminum friendly . My truck does have aluminum heater core and intake. so im leaning towards G05 . Then theirs one size fits all or mixes with all. My life experience has shown me that a anything that is"one size fits all" does work well or properly with anything. i think it is just a lazy way to fill the radiator and not worry about it. So is there anyone with fact or real life experience that would sway my opinion. Or does anyone know of a green house brand made exclusively by a quality company

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I use the Wally World green stuff as well as the Oreally and Vato zone - all works fine for me.

That's in 3 vehicles:

Goldie

Red Rocket (wife's 01 Ranger )

CC Silver ( 00 4runner)

The other 2 use Dexcool, so that is what they have and get.

Britt

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I have a GM Master Mech buddy that in all his vehicles he rolls with house brand and does a 25/75 mix of coolant to water. Seeing as we live in the deep south it gets hot as hell and doesn't freeze for days/weeks on end. Since water dissipates heat better than coolant/antifreeze I swing that way as well. It keeps my square cool in addition to a 160 thermostat.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
I use the Wally World green stuff as well as the Oreally and Vato zone - all works fine for me.

That's in 3 vehicles:

Goldie

Red Rocket (wife's 01 Ranger )

CC Silver ( 00 4runner)

The other 2 use Dexcool, so that is what they have and get.

Britt
I have a GM Master Mech buddy that in all his vehicles he rolls with house brand and does a 25/75 mix of coolant to water. Seeing as we live in the deep south it gets hot as hell and doesn't freeze for days/weeks on end. Since water dissipates heat better than coolant/antifreeze I swing that way as well. It keeps my square cool in addition to a 160 thermostat.

thanks guys two votes for green so far anyone else ?

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I always go green.
Used to be peak, but I see they're ******* with the formula these days, too. Good ol green house brand never let me down.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ive only ever used the cheap walfart brand green. I hate payin so much for a damn gallon. Plus shes 40 years old, if i used anything quality it may explode!! Lol im also still running the factory brass copper rad.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
I have to say im a little surprised on the responses . i bet if we were discussing motor oil most everyone would have a definite favorite flavor.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I have to say im a little surprised on the responses . i bet if we were discussing motor oil most everyone would have a definite favorite flavor.
I sure do... there was a thread for that lol

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
Well it's not really a question is it?
Rotella T6 in everything from a lawnmower to trucks to my CBR1000. Haha.....

But seriously, I never really understood the crazy oil thing. I've used them all. I tend to use rotella a lot. Cheap, and cheaper with the rebates they do. Mobil 1 some. Also has rebates. Used a lot of castrol back in the day.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

But seriously, I never really understood the crazy oil thing. I've used them all. I tend to use rotella a lot. Cheap, and cheaper with the rebates they do. Mobil 1 some. Also has rebates. Used a lot of castrol back in the day.

Im a castrol hm guy myself. But not to derail this thread..

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350

well the oil crazy thing lol is a matter of finding a product you are comfortable with. Back when i was much younger one of my first jobs was in a machine shop and as the grunt my job included breaking down engines and loading the hot tank. once in awhile an engine would come in that was so sludged over you could only see the retainers on the valve springs the rest of the valve spring was buried in muck. most of those were attributed to running Pennzoil. The rumor at the time was Pennzoil had there own wells and there oil had a high paraffin content that caused the sludge. Pennzoil was very popular at that time but i would never and have never used it since. im not sure how i started using Valvoline but i have always had good luck with it my engines are clean and never had an oil related problem. There are lots of great oils out there but there are some bad ones to and that is why im not big on unknown oil or coolant etc. if i know the manufacture of a house brand i may use it for example Napa brand oil was ashland oil aka Valvoline. Now im trying to find a product i trust in my cooling system. Kinda like oil any oil will work but how long and how well. I could run strait water and it will work for awhile but if i pick a good coolant then i should have a problem free cooling system years down the road.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
well the oil crazy thing lol is a matter of finding a product you are comfortable with. Back when i was much younger one of my first jobs was in a machine shop and as the grunt my job included breaking down engines and loading the hot tank. once in awhile an engine would come in that was so sludged over you could only see the retainers on the valve springs the rest of the valve spring was buried in muck. most of those were attributed to running Pennzoil. The rumor at the time was Pennzoil had there own wells and there oil had a high paraffin content that caused the sludge. Pennzoil was very popular at that time but i would never and have never used it since. im not sure how i started using Valvoline but i have always had good luck with it my engines are clean and never had an oil related problem. There are lots of great oils out there but there are some bad ones to and that is why im not big on unknown oil or coolant etc. if i know the manufacture of a house brand i may use it for example Napa brand oil was ashland oil aka Valvoline. Now im trying to find a product i trust in my cooling system. Kinda like oil any oil will work but how long and how well. I could run strait water and it will work for awhile but if i pick a good coolant then i should have a problem free cooling system years down the road.
I hear you. I also think oil has come a long way.
Remember the Quaker state sludge? Probably a similar thing. I've seen it twice.
Is it because of 100,000mile oci's? I dont know, but I quit running Quaker state oils. Haha....
Oh, and I was rebuilding an engine once and slipped in the mud and dropped the head on my radiator and cracked it.
I put a new radiator in, just filled it with water to leak test, etc,, and forgot all about it. So I was commuting to college months later on a 15f degree morning and got no heat over an entire 45min drive. Hahaha....oops.
Couldn't believe I didn't break the block or anything else.
So yeah, I can understand not running straight water. [emoji16]

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
When I worked at true value hardware stores I learned that our house brands were made by prestone. I learned to stock up for the sales. Now the hollar store on sale works for me. Had good luck with vato zone brand too. Never really noticed any fluctuation with coolant. Always had good luck with cooling systems; except dexCrap systems give me a lot of trouble.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I always go green.
Used to be peak, but I see they're ******* with the formula these days, too. Good ol green house brand never let me down.

I hadn't heard this yet. I too always used Peak. No real reason I chose it over Prestone, just what I always seemed to buy. What have you heard they're changing about it?

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I hadn't heard this yet. I too always used Peak. No real reason I chose it over Prestone, just what I always seemed to buy. What have you heard they're changing about it?
I just couldn't find green. All I found was the stuff that's supposed to be universal for all makes, models, and antifreeze colors.
It may be just fine, but I bought green peak before because it always seemed like good stuff and it was cheaper.
Now it's this yellow stuff and it's more expensive.
So cheap green it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84