1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great White Buffalow

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by slammed, Sep 16, 2015.

1. slammed

slammed Junior Member

First Name:
    Donnie
    Truck Year:
    1974 and 1984
    Truck Model:
    C10 Longbed and C30 Dually
    Engine Size:
    454 and 350
    I bought this truck last year to drive so I could do some work on my 74 that I was daily driving. I wanted something I could fit my family into comfortably. It was a 45 day old Craigslist ad.* $1300, supposedly 10k miles on a rebuilt 454, supposedly 8k on a rebuilt th400. Body was a little rough, headache rack wrong bumper,* phantom grille. I made a phone call,* left a message.

The next day,* I got a text saying he still had the truck.* I was pulling money together to buy something.* I set up to go look at it for that weekend.* I brought my best friend with me to talk me out of doing anything dumb.*

We got out there,* it fired up smooth,* idled pretty good,* slight exhaust leak the carb needed a rebuild. It shifted smooth the windshield was hosed,* and the interior was hammered.* But the bones were good.* I told him I was pulling the money together and I wanted it.*

The money came,* the truck was there,* I bought it.* I had a huge smile on my face the whole drive home.

I did absolutely nothing to the truck for the first few months except put gas in it and drive it.*

Then... well snowball.* The rubber fuel hoses were garbage,* the feed hose* spilt leaving work one day.* I then redid the rubber hoses from the drivers side tank to the carb. I deleted the passenger side tank.* Then,* oil change and tune up.* The plugs were not 10k plugs. I broke 1 plug,* and three plug wires doing the tune up.* I don't know what the firing order was,* but it wasn't right.* Next,* the passenger side rear window stuck down. And then the steering column broke in the rack area.* I traded a double pumper for a replacement column.* It sat in the truck for a while,* I was getting frustrated of things just keep breaking, I let it sit until the first week of December when my 74 got hit while parked at work.*

I took my anger out that night on the steering column.* I swapped it out, then fired the truck up the next morning.* *I drove it for a few weeks, then decided to rebuild the carb.* Much much better.* After all that work,* the big pig was getting 12 mpg on the freeway, and about 9 to ten in town.*

In January I found a good hood and fender on Craigslist for $50. I bought those and swapped them out.* Then I put a windshield and 6 new tires on it after the tread peeled on the passenger rear outer, and with it went the dually fender.*

Fast forward to June.* The seat bracket on the front bench broke,* swapped out for a set of power buckets from a 96 regal my buddy had.* Then got the rear window fixed.* I thought it was the motor,* since it didn't work off either switch.* I decided I wanted nothing to do with changing they motor,* so I took it to a shop by my apartment, they actually found it to be the switch.* Easy fix.

I also bought the drop parts, along with new rotors, pads, ball joints. I had originally planned on waiting until about now to start the drop,* but my fool head made me start it in July.*

I lowered my 74 in 1/3rd of the time this one took. Bigger=Heavier.

Now it's lowered,* and I have some finishing touches to do so I can drive it.* I discovered that somewhere along the way the passenger side bedside had been swapped with a non dually bedside. The wheel opening had been cut some,* it cleared the stock height,* not so much with a 6/8 drop. I'll be doing the bedside and the pinion angle tonight hopefully.* I'll also have to roll the fender lips up front so I don't rub.

Up next,* 89-91 gmc burb front clip swap, replace the dually fender that got shark bit, and a/c before next summer.* I've got to pull the harness out and clean it up. There's some weird stuff going on there that I need to sort out.* I also need to do the hydro boost unit,* it's starting to leak.*

But now we're up to date on it.* Here's some pics, I'll find some more later, I'm not sure where they all are.

*[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

2. slammed

slammed Junior Member

First Name:
    Donnie
    Truck Year:
    1974 and 1984
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454 and 350
    So now we're pretty caught up.* I'm trying to locate a good front bumper for it,* get the 73-80 bumper off of it. As soon as I track one down, I'll do the burb front clip swap. I have another dually fender for it,* it needs a little bit of work,* I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt it or just leave it to a pro. And I'm gonna get the rear slider taken out and put a solid window in. I may tint these windows since it is my daily,* but who knows.
    More.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Joshua8336

Joshua8336 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Joshua
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10
    Engine Size:
    subscribed.

4. Old77

Old77 Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Jacob
    Truck Year:
    1977/1991
    Truck Model:
    C10 longbed/R3500 Dually
    Engine Size:
    350/454
    wow...cool project!! What's the scoop on the green square?

5. slammed

slammed Junior Member

First Name:
    Donnie
    Truck Year:
    1974 and 1984
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454 and 350
    The green one is my baby. 74 Longbed, 5/7 drop, 20" dodge spares. I'll get a thread started on it here soon. I gotta track down the pics again. It's getting rewired with an ez-wiring harness. I just tracked down a 5 speed for a good price, so it'll be getting that. I'm getting more into working on it again now that it's starting to cool off here in AZ.

6. bigcountry78

bigcountry78 Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    James
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Custom Deluxe
    Engine Size:
    I'm not much on lowered trucks, but I like how this one is starting to look. I wish I had a crew cab square to haul the family in.

7. slammed

slammed Junior Member

First Name:
    Donnie
    Truck Year:
    1974 and 1984
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454 and 350
    Thanks bigcountry!

It's been a busy year with this truck. I hope to finish with it in the next year. I want to regear the differential and add an overdrive trans. I may go tbi as well, but I'm not sure yet.

8. slammed

slammed Junior Member

First Name:
    Donnie
    Truck Year:
    1974 and 1984
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454 and 350
    So, Monday night I cut the bedside and set the pinion angle. This morning I rolled the fender lips and took it to get an alignment.

The place I took it too didn't want to align it, because they said the tie rod ends were shot, and the steering box is worn out. Then quoted me $750 to fix it. I took my truck back.

I do agree that the tie rods need to be done, but I disagree with the steering box. In the year I've had the truck, the steering hasn't been an issue. I checked the steering shaft, and there is some play, but very little.

I'm going to do the tie rods tonight, and grease the chassis, then take it to a different shop, that only does alignments. If they tell me the box is no good, I'll pay a little more attention, as it won't be them trying to drum up more work. This is a good chunk of why I don't trust most shops.

9. bigcountry78

bigcountry78 Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    James
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Custom Deluxe
    Engine Size:
    Exactly. Im Leary of 95% of the shops but I've finally found a guy I can trust. Mostly because I tell him what needs to be done, and he does it and no more. In the 4 years and 6 vehicles I've had, he's only found 1 thing that needed attention before I did. And I always ask him if there's anything else when I pick it up. He's also looked over a couple potential purchases for me and done a couple odds and ends for free.

10. firebane

firebane Full Access Member

First Name:
    Curtis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    If you can turn the steering wheel more than 1 inch before the wheels engage your steering box is worn.

11. slammed

slammed Junior Member

First Name:
    Donnie
    Truck Year:
    1974 and 1984
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454 and 350
    It's not anywhere near that, maybe half an inch or so. I was surprised at that when I bought the truck. I've had several of these trucks over the years, and more than a few needed the steering box changed

12. Georgeb

Georgeb Full Access Member

First Name:
    George
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Burb Z71
    Engine Size:
    With a 1/2" or so and worn tie rod ends your good! They probably confused the slop in the rods for slop in the box...

13. Georgeb

Georgeb Full Access Member

First Name:
    George
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Burb Z71
    Engine Size:
    With a 1/2" or so and worn tie rod ends your good! They probably confused the slop in the rods for slop in the box..

14. slammed

slammed Junior Member

First Name:
    Donnie
    Truck Year:
    1974 and 1984
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    454 and 350
    I did the tie rods and greased the chassis. The steering cleaned up a lot. I've held back on the alignment just yet.

The place I bought my drop parts from sold me some C10 front springs. They can't handle the weight the 1 ton frame and big block have. If it was a small block truck, maybe. So I'm going to be pulling these springs and putting the stocks back in. I already cut a coil off of the stocks, that should help with the weight issues until I can get the right springs.

After a spirited take off (nothing crazy I had my boy in the truck) the axle wrapped up and knocked the pinion angle out. I have the ubolts torqued to 150ft/lbs. I'm going to pull the upper overloads and have the brackets welded. No more of this bs.
    The reason for pulling the upper overloads is to bring the rear end up the inch or so that the spring is. I want to patch the hole for the gooseneck, and have the pumpkin not bounce into the floor.

I took my replacement dually fender in to have it repaired, hopefully get it back this week.

15. Jarhead79

Jarhead79 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    Were the c10 front springs stock or lowering springs, I'm looking for some to replace the stock ones the previous owner cut to lower the front. I don't mind cut springs but mine are too short, had to put in those blocks to raise the front up a little. Am wanting to do control arms and stock springs and redo the leafs in the rear.

Attached Files: