Great looking little Volvo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Total guess without title, rust info or drivetrain info...$1000-$1500 maybe.

The guy that owns it, I tried talking to him. But he doesn't speak any English. My wife speaks a tad, so I got a few things.

I didn't see any rust, but surface. Does not run or drive but isn't frozen. 4 speed I believe. Clean title.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
I would swap in the drivetrain from a 740 or 940 turbo. would make a sweet car.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Its identical to one I had (a 66) except mine was a wagon (wagons should have come with surf boards on the roof - lol). Mine looks rough as someone used house paint....painted it white, then back to blue, then the second coat of blue began to peel and it looked like a flock of pterodactyls sht all over it. heh heh

You must be registered for see images attach

Check the floors.....they were paper thin from Goteberg and little to no rust proofing, especially in the trunk. Mine was in a dry storage barn in New Mexico for 22 yrs (estate dispute) and was clean as a bell. I gave $2000 for it.

If its a drive able but needs everything (like I'm guessing).....$2000 is about as steep as I'd go.Stock is a 1.8L 88 hp motor.....probably a 4 spd M40 manual. Think lawnmower with doors.

People shoe horn LS's in these....pretty stupid IMO. Car wasn't designed for 10x the torque and the firewall will have to be butchered (the air box is under the hood, so forget a heater if you go that route).

What fits in these really well (same dimensions) is an Ecotec. 200+hp and 35mpg. You can go the 'newer' Volvo redblocks but the inner wheel wells are HUGE so there will be trimming to get the turbo to clear as they sit on an angle.

I'll dig up some pics of what guys have done. A 4.3 fits well too.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Its identical to one I had (a 66) except mine was a wagon (wagons should have come with surf boards on the roof - lol). Mine looks rough as someone used house paint....painted it white, then back to blue, then the second coat of blue began to peel and it looked like a flock of pterodactyls sht all over it. heh heh

Check the floors.....they were paper thin from Goteberg and little to no rust proofing, especially in the trunk. Mine was in a dry storage barn in New Mexico for 22 yrs (estate dispute) and was clean as a bell. I gave $2000 for it.

If its a drive able but needs everything (like I'm guessing).....$2000 is about as steep as I'd go.Stock is a 1.8L 88 hp motor.....probably a 4 spd M40 manual. Think lawnmower with doors.

People shoe horn LS's in these....pretty stupid IMO. Car wasn't designed for 10x the torque and the firewall will have to be butchered (the air box is under the hood, so forget a heater if you go that route).

What fits in these really well (same dimensions) is an Ecotec. 200+hp and 35mpg. You can go the 'newer' Volvo redblocks but the inner wheel wells are HUGE so there will be trimming to get the turbo to clear as they sit on an angle.

I'll dig up some pics of what guys have done. A 4.3 fits well too.

I am suppose to get a closer look soon. I will definitely check the floor pans for rust.

Everytime I have seen it, that driver window is down. I am gonna guess the driver floor is rotted.

I will let you know when I get a closer look, and if I am gonna get it.

Seems like it's all there. I dont know why, but I really like these old Volvos.

Definitely wish it was a wagon. Yours is one I would take in a heartbeat.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am suppose to get a closer look soon. I will definitely check the floor pans for rust.

Everytime I have seen it, that driver window is down. I am gonna guess the driver floor is rotted.

I will let you know when I get a closer look, and if I am gonna get it.

Seems like it's all there. I dont know why, but I really like these old Volvos.

Definitely wish it was a wagon. Yours is one I would take in a heartbeat.

Rust free decent drivers (wagons too) are out there for $5k-ish. Sometimes less. They had a real cheesy cable of sorts that operated the windows. My guess is it broke - its not something you could look at (well, YOU might could) and say, 'oh this is how it goes'....especially if its broke and things are now missing. MOST that I know swap in a power window kit for hot rods....much better. Its a small car but nothing like its sister car, the 1800. Those are like an MG with a longer nose.

They made these from 54-70, but the Empire, Inc. only got them from 59? to 68. FWIW....if this one doesn't pass muster, try to find a 67-68. That was the last 'generation' of them and you can swap in a rear axle from a later 1800.......and have 4 wheel discs. Otherwise, its rear drums and they are a PITA to mess with. The axles are tapered and they are known to rust in place, which makes them scrap. No joke. I've seen guys break HD pullers on them when they seize. You can swap a rear disc brake axle into a pre 67, but there is ALOT of fabbing and welding required. Everyone I know who did it all said its easier to find a 67+.

Speaking of Columbo...."one more thing"......if the floors are shot, new pans are available - not horrible price wise, but fwiw, manual trans tunnels are different from the autos. If you're going to do a drive train swap, find an auto tunnel....MUCH bigger/wider.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Rust free decent drivers (wagons too) are out there for $5k-ish. Sometimes less. They had a real cheesy cable of sorts that operated the windows. My guess is it broke - its not something you could look at (well, YOU might could) and say, 'oh this is how it goes'....especially if its broke and things are now missing. MOST that I know swap in a power window kit for hot rods....much better. Its a small car but nothing like its sister car, the 1800. Those are like an MG with a longer nose.

They made these from 54-70, but the Empire, Inc. only got them from 59? to 68. FWIW....if this one doesn't pass muster, try to find a 67-68. That was the last 'generation' of them and you can swap in a rear axle from a later 1800.......and have 4 wheel discs. Otherwise, its rear drums and they are a PITA to mess with. The axles are tapered and they are known to rust in place, which makes them scrap. No joke. I've seen guys break HD pullers on them when they seize. You can swap a rear disc brake axle into a pre 67, but there is ALOT of fabbing and welding required. Everyone I know who did it all said its easier to find a 67+.

Speaking of Columbo...."one more thing"......if the floors are shot, new pans are available - not horrible price wise, but fwiw, manual trans tunnels are different from the autos. If you're going to do a drive train swap, find an auto tunnel....MUCH bigger/wider.

That is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. I will do a thorough examination. If this one does not work out, I am definitely gonna hunt down a wagon.

These old Volvos, MGs, anything old and European are few and far between as far as for sale here.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
There is one around here I see every so often, and it is super clean. Sweet ride!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Here's a good pic of the window lift setup. Olaf must have been pretty high when he thought this one up. Looks easy but this door has the door skin removed. Not much room inside to get it all lined up.

An interior shot. This was my wagon.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A few of the sexier models. Love the blue....that was the paint color I was going to redo mine in (its an '07 color IIRC...."nautica blue").

The white one used the front signals from an 1800...something else I had planned. I think the other blue one I kept a pic of because the blue looked like a newer version of mine.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
@Doppleganger

Dang man. You are gonna force me to buy it even if its crap. Lol

I am gonna spend a lifetime to build something like those above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDuke