1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grandpas farm truck lives on!

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by 02ta-ws6, Jan 5, 2016.

1. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    My grandpa bought this 85 6.2 diesel 4sp c30 custom deluxe brand new. It has lived as a farm and hunting truck for the first 30 years of its life. When he bought it a friend of his told him that the 6.2 would out live him. My grandpa who is not a very good health (getting weak, hard time walking, sleeping the majority of the time), back in May got my cousin and I together and told us that "a lot of people like their brand 2015 but i like my 85". In 2013 it wouldn't pass inspection anymore due to being able to stick a screw driver through the rear frame. So here we are may 2015, truck hasn't been touch for 2 years, batteries looked to be pretty new but nobody touch it let alone start it for 2 years. Got in, turned the key on, glow plugs lit, a few cylinders finally start to fire then....wouldn't you know it....purring like a kitten(well like a 6.2 diesel kitten). After an inspection of the front end and cab, which he had redone 7-8 years ago, we determined the best path to take would be frame swap. My grandpa wanted to just put the 6.2 into anything....wouldn't be the same, let alone a lot of work. This truck has so much history to it including 8 years straight making the 4k plus mile round trip to montana to go mule deer and elk hunting. That is impressive for the 6.2 diesel 4sp and 4.10s. Says he went most of the way doin 65-70mph. I can imagine it had to be close to the 3600 max rpms at that speed. I drove it back in 2010 when my wife and I moved....I thought it was gonna blow up doin 50 mph (5 under the speed limit) haha...also had 5 cars back up behind me lol! I doubt they knew how scared in was haha

Anyways enough back ground, after two weeks searching many many miles aways I happened apon a basically identical 86 gmc 6.2 diesel 4 sp c30 only 1 hour away and only 1200 bucks! Great frame, rust cab, beat body panels but running!
    Due to my work schedule andy cousins work schedule we could only get together on Saturdays to work on "project blue thunder"

As a side note we are just gear heads and have never done anything like this before...it's not perfect but we made a decent run at it. Main goal was to get it inspected again!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    $1200 and we are headed home with a donor truck that drove itself onto the trailer! I was sketched out because the rear axle u-bolts were pretty much rusted off! My uncles 2015 duramax denali pulling the first of gms diesels!

Attached Files:

3. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    Saturday number 1...demo! Always fun especially in the work of snap on and dewalt impacts. Front end, cab and bed off!

Attached Files:

4. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    Saturday number 2...engine, tranny, driveshaft, fuel tanks exhaust all off. Drained the coolant it was a little chunky and orange...not sure how much life was left in it but we didn't need it anyways.

Attached Files:

5. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    Side note here....my other uncles 81 z28 with 65k original miles. Next project as it needs to be fresher up. Next year's project!

Next saturday, pressure washed the frame with cleaner/degreaser, soaked it with metal prep, let it dry and then started with POR15. Did 2 coats...we were dumb and quit painting, let it cure, so we had to scuff and apply the last coat and of POR15 the following saturday. Also hit it wil the POR15 topcoat with 2 coats of that! Hopefully it will last another 30 years

Attached Files:

6. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    Hate painting....finally done. Felt good though to see the finished product even though it will be almost fully covered up :-(

Attached Files:

7. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    My truck, my grandpas truck, donor RIP (resting in pieces)
    Ripped the box which we were originally planning on reusing since he loved it. However......it was almost falling apart apon removal. Many years of hauling tons and tons of fertilizer and wood. So needed a new plan for a box, donor truck box was whooped and wrong color...

Also start taking apart blue thunder CAREFULLY and marking bags with shims, nuts and bolts etc

Attached Files:

8. coltdaddy47

coltdaddy47 Better grab onto something quickly

First Name:
    colt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    k10
    Engine Size:
    What's your overall goal? Back to stock, few comforts added, modded? And another diesel saved!

9. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    Back to stock, just keep it going for my grandpa even though he won't be able to drive it. Keeping the motor goin is the main thing since he always said it would out live him

10. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    Cab moved back and everything disconnected off the firewall and frame.

New fuel tank hhangers and fuel tank, front shocks on...feels good to be making some progress on the good frame

Attached Files:

11. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    Would have loved to do the banks sidewinder turbo kit but I don't think I could talk the grandparents into it as a need to have to pass inspection haha

12. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    4 guys jumping the cab front frame to frame....very cave man like I know but we don't have any special tools aside from an engine hoist. New clutch going in...because it's the time to do it and good thing the old one with 140k was about to fall apart. Next engine and tranny are in and cab is sitting pretty.
    Finally goin back together is a good feeling!

Attached Files:

13. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    Had a remand water pump so we put that in(it was a pita...even without the front clip on). New hydra boost/master cylinder(old ones were pretty rusted and in bad shape despite still working). New body and radiator support mounts, new rear spring pack (hd 3200lb rating), new rear shocks, new radiator just because it was the time to do it.
    Front clip finally back on. Had some frustration at this point with trying to bleed to clutch. Couldn't get a pedal out of it even with a mighty vac pump. Finally got pissed and swap the slave cylinders.....bam back in business.

Looking like a truck again!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  14. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    Front bumper back on along with the hood, windshield swapped off the donor truck to replace the cracked one in my grandpas truck. In the middle of all this we wanted to use the rear out of the donor truck because it was in waaaaaay better shape. Problem was that my grandpas truck had 4.10s with a posi unit and the rear we were working with had 4.10s and no posi. It also looked like it was leaking out of the pinion yoke and the breather tube had been ripped off. Since we wanted the posi anyways it we had a friend rebuild the rear with new bears etc, swap the posi and we also changed it up to 3.73s to help the old 6.2 out a bit. We figure it would save about 200ish rpms at 55 mph. Also had to sort though some electric issues which ended up being the two grounds on the back of the rad shroud needing to be tightened. Also found out that the tilt wheel can't be up because it won't start or run haha. Once we figured that out both my uncles remember that was an issue from many moons ago. SHE is Alive again.

Attached Files:

15. 02ta-ws6

02ta-ws6 Member

First Name:
    dustin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c30
    Engine Size:
    6.2 diesel
    Little break because at this point it was hunting season. Here is a couple pics of the truck when it was brand new goin out to montana all decked out with the custom box, chains, roof on the box to protect supplies for hunting including a big meat box to haul 800 lbs of mule deer and elk back. As my grandpa told me the other day on xmas it was roof prototype one....the wind had it way with it and required rebuilding haha. Also the front plate said "I'd rather be hunting" which totally describes him haha! My grandpa is on the right

Attached Files: