1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Granddad’s ‘73 C20

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by MTCowpoke22, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Goldie Driver

Goldie Driver Full Access Member

First Name:
    Britt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC K1500 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    IIRC, there is an adapter harness required because the wiring changed.

1st link I found :
    https://www.americanautowire.com/sh...MIp9Sv2rG_7AIVD9bACh1W6AUqEAQYAyABEgLVFfD_BwE

2. MTCowpoke22

MTCowpoke22 Junior Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20 Cheyenne Super
    Engine Size:
  3. MTCowpoke22

First Name:
    Tim
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20 Cheyenne Super
    Engine Size:
    This weekend as I’m waiting on steering column parts, I worked on lights. Got the tail lamp covers installed and new bulbs in all sockets. Started on the front blinkers, and the drivers side went fine. New bulbs and a replacement light cover from the parts truck were easy to change. On the passenger side, both sockets had the wiring chewed off right at the plastic. So I pulled the battery out to get at the wiring for splicing. Under the plywood the battery was sitting on I found the familiar site in the picture. I pulled it all out and am just going to order a new battery tray. Took a bit to find where the wiring was chewed off, and I’ll get to it today or next weekend as the kids started waking up from their naps about that time.

CE02E4D0-A080-40F3-99B1-8D3091FDF02B.jpeg

4. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Victim of Culture

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    Plywood doesn't rust.. :D

MTCowpoke22 likes this.
  5. MTCowpoke22

First Name:
    Tim
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20 Cheyenne Super
    Engine Size:
    Finally got the steering column back together. Still working on the lights. Not quite as easy as I hoped as all the wiring has faded from its original coloring, but really isn't too tough. Just time consuming.

1119EF98-44E0-4512-BED2-F9C5E156E571.jpeg

6. MTCowpoke22

First Name:
    Tim
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20 Cheyenne Super
    Engine Size:
    Been a little while since I've updated. So, I was able to get the lights working. Took longer than I thought it would, but with enough splicing and fuse checking, I now have legal running lights and working turn signals. I do not have working dash lights, so that is next. Also, I'm replacing the heater control unit in the dash and updating the stereo. It'll work out well to do all three while I have the dash torn apart anyways. I also had a local mechanic go through the carburetor. He was able to unstick the throttle and got my high and low idles working like they should. After I got it back, I was driving it to work and back, but last week, it left me stranded. I have power to the cab, but nothing when I hit the starter button. I was able to jump the starter to get it home and am now trying to track down where the juice is going or not going. I've discovered several in-line fuses (some I can tell were added aftermarket. No idea what Grandpa was doing). Some have been blown, and some need to be replaced due to aged plastic. After the dash project and finding my starter issue, I need to replace the tranny filter and gasket. I thought I was leaking power steering fluid, which it does, but I haven't added any in a while and I'm still getting red oil stain on the floor. I'm sure some of this is pretty mundane for you guys who are gearheads, but it can be quite the project for a weekend warrior like myself.

7. Goldie Driver

Goldie Driver Full Access Member

First Name:
    Britt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC K1500 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    I am pretty impressed with your column work.

Pretty simple with the right tools and knowing how things come apart- and go back together, but I have done a few in my day.

Trying without someone knowledgeable about is a whole nother trick.

But, sometimes you just gotta dive in.

:)

8. MTCowpoke22

First Name:
    Tim
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20 Cheyenne Super
    Engine Size:
    Thank you. And I hear ya. I did have to consult an buddy who owns an auto body shop at one point. I had the spring spacer in backwards and things wouldn’t go back together right until we figured that out.

9. MTCowpoke22

First Name:
    Tim
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20 Cheyenne Super
    Engine Size:
    As long as the dash was torn apart, I started working on the HVAC control unit, and updating the stereo. With the old HVAC unit, the fan speed lever is broken, and the temp control is stuck. I pulled the old tape deck out and started on the HVAC. This is a '73, and LMC has a replacement for the '74-75 years. I bought one figuring it might work. I know in pickups built later in the year parts for the next year can be mixed in. No dice here. The control unit is very different. The original has a sending unit for the heat/AC/Vent control on top, while the new unit doesn't even have the hole to mount it, nor the little peg to move the slider in the sending unit. And the Vacuum hose set up is also on top and mounted differently than it would be on the new unit. So, for now, I was able to swap the fan speed lever to the original and put it back in. I'll have to see I can find out anything from LMC, or if I can switch over the sending unit and vac hoses to a '74-75 set up without too much trouble. The stereo went fine. It's just connecting wires. Only thing here was that one of my cousins' put in the tape deck, probably around the early 2000s, cause I only remember the original AM/FM radio and a bolt on 8-track under the dash. They built their own hole cover which worked great and was already drilled to fit. They also cut the antenna wire and spliced it into the tape deck. This is an issue since the media player I got needs the original plug. I'll have to order a new one. Next, I'll be trying to figure out why the dash lights don't work.

Old HVAC Mounting.jpg

73 Sending Unit.jpg

73 Vac Hose Setup.jpg

Broken Switch.jpg

Mounted and ready..jpg