got wood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Hey Guys,
I've been tossing this around for a while and I think I've finally decided to pull the trigger.
I really like the looks of the early wood grain option on the square body line. It seems to be a lost bit of history now days as you rarely see it replaced during a restoration. Usually people opt for paint now instead. But having looked at a few trucks that have replaced the wood grain, I have a whole new appreciation for it and think it really looks sharp. I realize it may not work with every color but I think it would look great with my original Holly Green, if I did the center white section between my trim.
So I'm on the search for a good vehicle grade vinyl and one that has very good UV protection because I'm here in the hot California desert and the truck doesn't fit in my garage, so it's always out doors.
Appreciate any leads or suggestions.
Cheers, Greg

You must be registered for see images attach

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I too like woodgrain. I agree it would look kind of out of place with a lot of color combos (and on post '80 trucks), but on a round eye of the right color scheme it looks great.

That green '73/'74 K5 is awesome. I think it's the best looking one out of the photos you posted. Can't wait to see how your truck comes out!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I agree Greg, and I think it would look awesome on your truck. I would say of the pics you posted the green blazer and the white Suburban look the best with the green blazer being my favorite. This is coming from a guy who generally isn't a green fan. It's ok don't get me wrong but something about that word grain really makes it come together.

On your truck is your hood green or white and what will you do with the cab, the part that is white?

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I love woodgrain as well.

I actually woodgrained my truck using a few rolls of self adhesive woodgrain from ACE Hardware (Just for sh!ts and giggles).

It ended up looking pretty good from a distance, but it of course deteriorated pretty quickly, so I took it back off.

Oh yeah, I saw this at my local ford dealer. It's kinda stupid looking on such a new car.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@GregL Oh, wow I like that hood. The second shade of green is nice, ya I'd leave that hood and cab white alone. It'll look just fine with the wood grain IMO.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
I've always thought the 1973-80 trucks lent themselves very well to the woodgrain... It doesn't look like a cheap, tacky add on; but rather, an extra touch of class that just fits with the character of the trucks, the colors, and the general mood of the era they came out of. What was the last year they offered the "wood"? Also, is anyone doing exact reproductions of this stuff?

I have distinct memories of a shortbox 1973 that I checked out when I was in high school. It was a Cheyenne or Cheyenne Super in dark metallic green with the woodgrain, a big block, tachometer, air conditioning, bucket seats and a center console. Also have seen a 1973 or 74 3/4 ton Suburban in the reddish orange with woodgrain... and it looks great with the harvest gold/yellow, too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I agree with the others, that green K5 looks GOOD with the woodgrain. The white hood and roof should look fine on it, although I'm not sure about the stripes. There's only one way to find out though!

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Hey Guys,
I've been tossing this around for a while and I think I've finally decided to pull the trigger.
I really like the looks of the early wood grain option on the square body line. It seems to be a lost bit of history now days as you rarely see it replaced during a restoration. Usually people opt for paint now instead. But having looked at a few trucks that have replaced the wood grain, I have a whole new appreciation for it and think it really looks sharp. I realize it may not work with every color but I think it would look great with my original Holly Green, if I did the center white section between my trim.
So I'm on the search for a good vehicle grade vinyl and one that has very good UV protection because I'm here in the hot California desert and the truck doesn't fit in my garage, so it's always out doors.
Appreciate any leads or suggestions.
Cheers, Greg

I also like the woodgrain. I remember as a kid in the late 40's and early '50's all the real wood vehicles still on the road. Of all your pictures, my favorite is the round eye Suburban. Looks like all the various makes of station wagons in the late '50's and early '60's.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
.......... woodgrain... and the general mood of the era they came out of. What was the last year they offered the "wood"? Also, is anyone doing exact reproductions of this stuff?
Yes Tory, I know you are referring to squares. Here is some wood history:

1930's, last real wood:

1940's

1950's

1960's, got to go to Ford, GM was mostly done:

I have to agree with @WFO , not a fan of the simulated wood. I was not even really liking the fake wood dash and instrument panel plastic inserts on my 1974. The door panels had metal inserts with painted wood grain.... :doublepuke:

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
Yes Tory, I know you are referring to squares. Here is some wood history:

1930's, last real wood:

1940's

1950's

1960's, got to go to Ford, GM was mostly done:

I have to agree with @WFO , not a fan of the simulated wood. I was not even really liking the fake wood dash and instrument panel plastic inserts on my 1974. The door panels had metal inserts with painted wood grain.... :doublepuke:
Yep. Those two Ford Squires are examples of what looks a bit on the corny side. Full stop cheezy would be the K Cars that were festooned with plood and plasti-timber in the 1980's. That's where I like the Squarebody approach, as it uses the standard aluminum bodyside moldings instead of goofy plastic or fiberglass trim.

Ehh... I'm on the fence about the imitation wood in the interior. On my 1975 GMC, I liked the woodgrain on the passenger side of the dash, and the door panel inserts looked good until they got worn around the door handles. The instrument cluster grain (mine didn't have it) was much less convincing. Mebbe the fake woodgrain should be restricted to places where you only see it from a distance... like on the outside? I dunno. Back to the 1930's, though... the painted faux wood on the metal dashes of many of those cars usually looked great!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yep. Those two Ford Squires are examples of what looks a bit on the corny side. Full stop cheezy would be the K Cars that were festooned with plood and plasti-timber in the 1980's. That's where I like the Squarebody approach, as it uses the standard aluminum bodyside moldings instead of goofy plastic or fiberglass trim.

Ehh... I'm on the fence about the imitation wood in the interior. On my 1975 GMC, I liked the woodgrain on the passenger side of the dash, and the door panel inserts looked good until they got worn around the door handles. The instrument cluster grain (mine didn't have it) was much less convincing. Mebbe the fake woodgrain should be restricted to places where you only see it from a distance... like on the outside? I dunno. Back to the 1930's, though... the painted faux wood on the metal dashes of many of those cars usually looked great!
I have to say I agree with you on this and the reasons. As soon as there isn't "standard aluminum bodyside moldings" then wood grain looks wrong.

I'm not really a fan of wood grain on the interior myself. It's ok and wouldn't make or break a purchase for me and I probably would not go out of my way to remove it, but it seems like the simulated wood grain on interiors does not hold up as well as black plastic or even the plastic that looks like brushed aluminum.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Lowsierra sells woodgrain, and all the other 70's graphics for our trucks.

1980K10

Reaction score
First Name
Dalon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The wood grain pattern for these is made by 3M, it is a di-noc product line. Marine teak is the woodgrain color. Just bought it for my ‘73 GMC pickup. Mine is also green.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes