Got a at gap air handler & defrost duct I read the past post...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
I HAD an inch or so gap between the air handler duct & the defrost duct - while taking it apart, I thought to myself "dang good think Im in here, I can fix that.

look at pictures below .

Last night I was putting it back together - I mocked up a sleeve, inserted it and closed that gap.(I used a roll of rubber, some zip ties and a small amount of GORILLA DUCT TAPE) Lots of trial and error - took me about an hour.

Then tonight decided to search it.

I found a theory that the gap was intentional. From what I read, the A/C trucks had larger cfm blower motors. And, so the GM engineers needed to bleed off the mass amounts air (if only the defroster was selected).

So Im sitting here - contemplating - Do I undo what I did last night? will my defrost vents remind me of a rocket ship?

Think about it -

If I feel like there is to much air blowing thru the defrost, can I not turn the blower on low?

Anyone have a theory?
Anyone fill in that gap?
Anyone leave it?
You must be registered for see images attach
Hows your defroster?

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I thought I was the only one with this problem!!! :) My truck interior is in a state of complete overhaul, restoration, waterproofing. When putting the heater/AC ducts back in place, I saw that. Since I could not get the defroster venting to seat right, I just closed that gap up with foam and aluminium duct tape. In the past, my defrosters never blew a lot of air through them. Although I have not tired it yet, since closing that gap, I am sure that there should be a lot more air pushed through the defroster vents.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Mine also has a gap.

There is a set screw in the lower duct, and a plastic tab coming down from the upper. It looks like you would pull the ducts together and then put the screw through the tab to hold it in place. However, mine has never fully pulled together enough to not have a gap.

Bruce

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Interesting. Thank you for sharing. As I have to reassemble that in the hopefully near future.

SqBodyRestore

Reaction score
First Name
Carrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Silverado 4x4
Engine Size
350 5.7L
After recently replacing the (original brass/copper) heater core, I found that I too have a gap at the heater box up to the defrost vent junction. Did anyone have any measurable results of leaving the gap, or sealing the gap??

Attachments

• IMG_1074.jpeg
    IMG_1074.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 28

90Burb316

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
I HAD an inch or so gap between the air handler duct & the defrost duct - while taking it apart, I thought to myself "dang good think Im in here, I can fix that.

look at pictures below .

Last night I was putting it back together - I mocked up a sleeve, inserted it and closed that gap.(I used a roll of rubber, some zip ties and a small amount of GORILLA DUCT TAPE) Lots of trial and error - took me about an hour.

Then tonight decided to search it.

I found a theory that the gap was intentional. From what I read, the A/C trucks had larger cfm blower motors. And, so the GM engineers needed to bleed off the mass amounts air (if only the defroster was selected).

So Im sitting here - contemplating - Do I undo what I did last night? will my defrost vents remind me of a rocket ship?

Think about it -

If I feel like there is to much air blowing thru the defrost, can I not turn the blower on low?

Anyone have a theory?
Anyone fill in that gap?
Anyone leave it?
Hows your defroster?
Personally, I think it should be sealed.
Did you end up leaving it sealed? If so, how does it work? Mine has lots of gap and everything leaks like a sieve. In really cold weather the cab of my Burb gets too hot while the defrost doesn't get enough heat because air just bleeds all over. However, I believe I also have issues with the door in the air handler not sealing/closing all the way too. It is a project on the back burner for now but I want a plan once I finally get to trying to fix it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahara