Good trailer paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
About every 20 years or so I like to re-do my open car trailer, whether it needs it or not. (It needs it).

What's a good paint for something like this?

I've historically used rustoleum red metal primer, and then gloss black over that, but this last time it seems it didn't stay nice very long.

How about Valspar? Would that be a better choice? Or some other implement paint?

I will probably do a combination of aerosol spray (in the nooks and crannies) and brushwork (on the flat surfaces), in order to give you an idea of the quality of appearance I'm going for. I need it to keep the rust off, and stay shiny for a little while, ideally.

Trailer is at the sandblaster as we speak, and I would expect to pick it up early next week.

Appreciate any and all input.

K
You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you're having it blasted, It's gonna be nice and smooth, I'd want to spray it personally.
IMO, the industry standard is Imron, for durable, outdoors stored "equipment" type paint. It's also not super cheap.
I have yet to use any, but Tamco paints are very reasonably priced and come well recommended and their service is exemplary.
I wouldn't cheap out on primer either. Don't need alot for your application. Check out Tamco's prices and talk to them.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Keith, I have used rust oleum brand "tractor" paint with success twice on my wife's vintage campers.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’ve had good luck with oil based paint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84