Good Morning All. I just joined this forum for a little advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C Jay

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
na
Truck Model
na
Engine Size
na
Hi, I am looking for a square body project and have been going back and forth between 4 wheel drives, 2 wheel drives, short beds, long beds,...
What I do know is I would prefer 81 to 87 model year, automatic, and something that has not been hacked up to bad. I'm in east pa so the choices are not that great, but they are around. Just looking for some advice on anything I'm not aware of with these trucks.
This is purely a project and so the question of "what would I be doing with this truck" is not relevant. And I know some will say well its whatever you're looking for. I agree. Just wanted to see what you all had to say.
I have completed a full restoration on a 74 plymouth in the past, just to mention.

Thanks.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Welcome from Indiana. I am working on an 81 C10 stepside. I have an 85 k10 for a donor cab, engine. Indiana winters were not kind to the sheet metal.
You will get lots advice and help here, I know I have had tons of questions answered here!

Babs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet CUCV
Engine Size
:welcome:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy!

I think the fact that you are not particularly interested in any one combination will help out. You can just go with the first one you come across for a good price and that tickles your fancy.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome from South Dakota.

I got my 3/4 ton longbed because I needed a work truck to haul materials and pull a trailer. My 1/2 ton shortbox stepside was a truck that I always liked the look of. Both are 4x4 because of where I live (as have been most of my vehicles over the years). My Blazer was bought to plow snow because of it's 4x4 and short wheelbase (not to mention the price was right). When I had my 3+3 1 ton dually, it was to pull my race car trailer, and it didn't need 4x4 as it was used mostly during the summer.

What you plan to use the truck for is usually the deciding factor. If you just want a project and dont have a preference, I would guess it depends on what you find that is in good shape and for a good price.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site.

1st you have to ask, "What am I going to do with project when I'm done with it?"

hunting/camping/exploring/driving/cruising/daily driver - whatever you decide.

4x4 is great for the winter time but salt is an enemy of these trucks.

LB are great for runs to the store but have a large turning radius.

SB are great for quick runs but don't have the room for large loads.

2WD is great for summer cruise but not good for winter so to speak.

Truth is you need to decide how you want to use the truck. Don't forget there are Blazers and Suburbans out there too.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The most common you’ll likely come across is a c20 (2wd longbed). That’ll probably be the cheapest way into a project.

I personally prefer long bed 4x4s. But that’s assuming you only get to have one truck. That’s a famine mentality. The world is your oyster, haha

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome. And sounds like the start of a cool project.
Like others said budget may dictate what you buy unless not a concern for you.
Agree C20s are likely the cheapest followed by C10s and then all the 4x4 variants.
What I paid for the ‘86 K20 was probably double at least of a similar C20.
Expand your search, IMO. There are ALOT of good condition squares out there. And some that are fair priced. But they’re not around every corner.
I honed in on the newest one I could find (wouldn’t have turned down the right 70s truck) because I wanted “newer” wiring etc and believed 10 years or so newer = less potential gremlins and issues.
Good luck!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum!

Look around, LOTS. You'll find one that you'll like. It took me a little over a year.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome :boti:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
87 is when fuel injection started, so the following years after don't hurt too much either, especially being how interchangeable they are, front end wise especially. Honestly i prefer the '85, just love the lights and grille light combination, not to mention the military M1008, M1009 and M1028 (worth looking up) with their impressive 6.2 diesels. BUT it truly depends on what you want to actually do with it once it's restored: want to offroad? want a cruiser? just some light hauling? If you're feeling sporty and know you may get into trouble, 4x4 all the way. If you don't plan on it, you can just settle for 2wd, it's not a crime. 350s are simple and are a basic choice, personally i'm a 454 big block guy, but that's for serious stuff, once again, depending on what you plan on doing with it. So a couple scenarios while i'm at it:

Potential screwing around truck: 1985 Chevy/GMC short or long bed, 4x4, 350, perhaps even a manual

Potential going to town truck: 1985 Chevy/GMC long bed, 2wd, 350/454 automatic

Potential serious business truck: 1985 Chevy/GMC Crew Cab Dually, 4wd, 454 or even LS, automatic

This is all clearly my opinion, and assuming you want to go the pickup route compared to a Blazer/Jimmy or Suburban. And the year doesn't have to be '85. The sweet things about these trucks is you can have an '81 Chevy and put a 1990 Suburban front grille and bezel, etc making it a rare as hell sweet pickup (tip of the iceberg) there are endless possibilities of making a bad ass one of a kind Square. And don't limit yourself to just Chevy, GMC is just as effective and is literally the same thing (some say it's better)

But this is all just purely a Square Body enthusiast's opinion. Welcome to the forum, we're all glad to help!

dusterdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c15
Engine Size
Welcome

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics