God Awful Road Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
My truck has an unusual amount of terrible road noise, even as slow as 10 MPH. I'm starting to believe there's something wrong with the drivetrain and not just the funky tires or lack of soundproof. The tires are 25s? and they're Goodyear Wranglers with a weird tread pattern but I dont think that's the only issue. The floor vibrates quite a bit when making turns and it sounds like a helicopter is behind me at 55MPH. Most of the firewall insulation is gone and there is no insulation or carpet on the back of the cab/ behind the seat (I will be getting soundproofing and carpet for that) But something just doesn't feel right, It's like I'm riding with no cab around me. And something doesn't feel healthy beneath me even with 2 layers of soundproofing and thermal insulation with carpet. The transfer case leaks a bit and I haven't checked that in a while... Any thoughts? How quiet can a squarebody be?

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have you checked your wheel bearings? Does the noise change when you do a slalom while driving? How about the driveline? Does the slip yoke work or is it stuck?

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
Have you checked your wheel bearings? Does the noise change when you do a slalom while driving? How about the driveline? Does the slip yoke work or is it stuck?
Yeah the noise changes sometimes gets louder when I do a slalom, the vibration increases as well. I'm pretty sure the slip yokes work. I'm gonna double check to make sure the transfer case fluid is topped off and that it's not in 4WD. Would you say replacing the slip yokes and wheel bearings would help?

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Absolutely if they’re the problem
But inspecting the bearings is a great idea
Having a driveline shop inspect the yokes is another good idea...

Those tires would be my bet
Age has a big impact

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
Absolutely if they’re the problem
But inspecting the bearings is a great idea
Having a driveline shop inspect the yokes is another good idea...

Those tires would be my bet
Age has a big impact
It’s probably a mix of all of them. I’ll check it out

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
It should be fairly quiet- especially at only 10 mph. I have no headliner, no floor insulation and only vinyl floor. Pretty quiet considering.

When making this noise are you in 2wd? Hubs unlocked? 4 wheel drive?

Have a floor jack? Jack stands?

Chock your wheels, jack up one wheel, put it in neutral, grab the tire and spin it by hand. Feel anything rough? Grab at 9 and 3 o'clock and try and move the tire side to side. Then do 12 and 6 o clock and try up and down. Shouldn't have play in it.

If you have jackstands can put the whole rear axle up on drivestands so both tires can rotate at the same time with the driveshaft.

Crawl under and grab the driveshafts- twist them, move them up and down/side to side. Look for play in the u-joints and the slip yoke.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My Cousin recently just had some Chinese wheel bearings literally just fall apart in the hub.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
Update: The noise is only getting worse, but here's what it's doing. The noise and vibration increases when I make right hand turns, and while it's going straight, but when I make left hand turns or make a slow left turn on a windy road the noise/vibration completely goes away. I'm thinking it's something in the steering because it just got aligned and when it did I hardly have any turn radius turning right but I have about double the travel on the left. Maybe that could be something? The truck has brand new balljoints and brakes, but when I jacked the front up the tires seem to feel stuck a bit still. I'm betting it's the wheel bearings

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
The power steering pump has a slight slight leak I believe but I checked the fluid this morning after driving it and she's topped off

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Get that truck up on jacks and check your wheel bearings before you kill someone. Seriously.
You don't to remove anything at first, just give the wheel and spin and also wiggle side to side. If there is any play, there is a problem.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
Just went out, jacked the truck up and felt for play. The drivers side front acts like there’s no wheel bearing even there and it takes Hulk to spin the wheel and the passenger’s side is hard to turn as well but has no play

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Sounds like you found the problem.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I wouldn't drive it until you inspect it. If the bearing(s) is/are toast you may have damaged the spindle and hub as well. Any scoring on those they need to be replaced so be prepared to cough up extra cash for those.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Good job Nathan...