GMT400 to squarebody parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter Tremonti

Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Grande 2WD
Engine Size
I have an 89 C1500 parts truck that we're yanking the engine out of before sending the rest of the truck off to the dump. Is there anything on it that I could use to upgrade my 76 Sierra Grande?

I noticed that the wheels are the same bolt pattern which had me wondering about a brake swap. I haven't found anything after searching about 5 minutes and 5 pages deep. If anything could swap over easily like the gas tank perhaps then it could be some good information for later on.

Any info would be helpful as this thing is going to the scrap yard next week.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's a few odds and ends that may be similar, but not much.

Have you considered selling it on CL or something, rather than scrapping it? Those trucks are becoming not so common anymore.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The CL listing is a good idea. Where I’m at, these trucks are a dime a dozen, but people are suckers for a cheap truck they can wrench on and play with. I’m dreading the day they become classics because they just don’t have the same thing squares and earlier styles have going on. I can see how they would have that certain aura to others, and in all fairness, they’re good trucks that stuck to a traditional blueprint, but they still look and feel really new to me. The day the GMT800 becomes a classic, I think I’ll have seen just about everything.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
My 1999 Trans Am is gonna be 20 years old soon. Thats crazy to me.

As for the interchange in parts there is barely any interchange. The engine will bolt into the frame but you will need to make adjustments for the ECM and fuel. Light bulbs interchange, maybe a few bolts here and there.

I wouldnt scrap it if the body were good. You would get more money either parting it out or selling it whole on craigslist.

Peter Tremonti

Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Grande 2WD
Engine Size
I've tried parting out a couple vehicles with very little return on the effort and time I spent listing things. The body is in pretty bad shape. The PO has a lag bolt holding the driver's door shut if that tells you anything. The truck itself came from a farm in Georgia and the bottom is caked on with red clay and has a weird polished rust look due to driving over tall grass. The suspension bushings are all but gone in the front end so unless anybody is looking for a frame with brakes attached, I'm not sure anybody would want this thing.

I yanked the harness out of it to keep with the fuel injection and computer. Maybe the steering column would be worth keeping for something. Before I junk it, I'm thinking about taking the wheels as a set of spares for the 76 if nothing else.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I understand, I'd be junking the thing also. You will need a fuel pump as well to run the TBI. I dont know how inclined I would be to pull the pump from the donor vehicle though unless I knew it a newer, good working unit.

Peter Tremonti

Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Grande 2WD
Engine Size
It was purchased for the engine that was rebuilt supposedly 3 or 4 years ago but the transmission died and has no reverse. It ran fine and didn't smoke when it was driven onto the trailer and around the parking lot. I may yank the tank and rear end also before it goes. Not sure if the rear would be useful later or not.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
It wouldnt be useful to you as a direct swap. The spring perches and shock mounts are in different locations. Not sure, but maybe you can swap internals if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08