Glass weatherstripping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustic_k20

Reaction score
First Name
Chace
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey y'all,

Doing a cab swap soon on my 81' and would like some recommendations for where to purchase new weatherstripping and windshield/rear window rubber. I found LMC has got some, classic industries, etc. Precision was my first choice but stock is backordered and I can't wait. The problem with LMC is that it's noted that the rear rubber they have does not fit my sliding rear window and there are no other options through them. Also, is LMC rubber, good, durable material?

Thanks guys

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've seen at least 2 people who did NOT like the LMC rubber quality at all. Then I've seen several that had no fitament issues and seemed to hold up well. I think it's a crap shoot. It all depends on which supplier they happen to get that batch of rubber from. Just don't know for sure.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hey y'all,

Doing a cab swap soon on my 81' and would like some recommendations for where to purchase new weatherstripping and windshield/rear window rubber. I found LMC has got some, classic industries, etc. Precision was my first choice but stock is backordered and I can't wait. The problem with LMC is that it's noted that the rear rubber they have does not fit my sliding rear window and there are no other options through them. Also, is LMC rubber, good, durable material?

Thanks guys
rear slider is like a unicorn. no idea why NO ONE makes it, it would be a cash cow since NO ONE makes it and a LOT of trucks have it.

I have 3 windows with sliders, never gonna be able to seal em unless you make your own/source individual parts

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I had a lmc windshield seal that was 3 inches too long. The kit from Classic industries was good quality.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think most rear slider windows are actually aftermarket. That's likely why there rear window rubber doesn't fit. Rear sliders usually aren't that much. I think if it were me and I really wanted a rear slider, I'd just buy a whole new window with new rubber and that way all the slides are new and crisp, any rubber between the pieces is also new and should seal nice and tight with no wind noise, no moisture getting through and no fogging. :shrug: Can we even still buy rear sliders or our trucks?

Ohh and I said "moisture" !!!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
One guy recently put a new slider in. Smoked. I have factory sliding rear on 2 vehicle cabs and the third is unknown but it appears to match the "factory" ones. but maybe its like bumpers?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
One guy recently put a new slider in. Smoked. I have factory sliding rear on 2 vehicle cabs and the third is unknown but it appears to match the "factory" ones. but maybe its like bumpers?

Yes, alot like bumpers. I do know there was also factory sliders too, but many were not. And there were many aftermarket options.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Me :)

I think most sliders are now 30+ years old. Most of them are broken, bent or otherwise worn out. Its probably not cost effective to produce the seals for something that's not in much demand.

I put Precision brand weather-stripping in my entire truck. It's very good quality and worth the money.

I also just put in a new CL rear slider. It's MUCH better design and quality than the old sliders. The frame has a single flange that is the same dimensions as a one piece glass window, hence why it fits the original non-slider gasket.

Save yourself the hassle and just pony up a few extra bucks and replace the slider with a modern version and get the regular gasket. Buy once-cry once.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Me :)

I think most sliders are now 30+ years old. Most of them are broken, bent or otherwise worn out. Its probably not cost effective to produce the seals for something that's not in much demand.

I put Precision brand weather-stripping in my entire truck. It's very good quality and worth the money.

I also just put in a new CL rear slider. It's MUCH better design and quality than the old sliders. The frame has a single flange that is the same dimensions as a one piece glass window, hence why it fits the original non-slider gasket.

Save yourself the hassle and just pony up a few extra bucks and replace the slider with a modern version and get the regular gasket. Buy once-cry once.
i have no doubt, i just mean it more in a i dont want to fix this if it means a new window but if i could put a seal in it, sure. i have my f150 in same scenario. i will grease it up, i will clean the track. but if its gonna leak then i guess thats the way it will be till someone knocks out a pane. then maybe ill urethane a pexi panel in. its a work truck.

Now if i had a DD or a nice nice example, i would do that. but your window wasnt expensive at all and it looked nice. it would be nice to have a dual slider but it does look nice even as a single pane

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
My factory sliders don't leak and are in real good shape but I have to remove them when I do the rebuild of my c20. I want to keep them, I like the look and the alloy frame.
Worst case is that I need to have a weatherstrip manufactured for it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My factory sliders don't leak and are in real good shape but I have to remove them when I do the rebuild of my c20. I want to keep them, I like the look and the alloy frame.
Worst case is that I need to have a weatherstrip manufactured for it.
I feel You could get a new slider with either the same look of chrome/alloy or have the look applied. I guess, for me, how do you have new weatherstrip manufactured? If you got a "guy" from "Miami" who can "make it happen" i want to know!

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I know a company that produces weatherstrips. They can do any profile and also have machines to "weld" rubber. They just need the old weatherstrip as reference. I don't know how much they charge for this kind of work. If it's too expensive I think I'll go for the new slider.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
if you ever do that and if a few people "bought in" and would reduce unit cost or something.. im sure me and a few others would love to jump at the chance. I dont have good seals to send but hell i would give them a whole window to test lol. i wouldnt want to pay a huge shipping fee but i can assure you the last guy dont need it no more

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i mean i know there are different options aftermarket, but being that there are 4 JUST like this in my life(3 mine, 1 my dad) and every truck i see with a factory slider typically is this, i feel like if someone produced them for one they almost assuredly do for all of them
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg