Gave away my LS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I thought the title might grab attention lol, and this is my first thread. Anyways A couple years ago I parted out a Yukon with a 5.3 and planned to use it in my car. The more I thought about the more I decided I love the small block too much to go that direction. My mom still has the 69 c10 short wide I grew up with, lots of good memories attached to this rig. Its been sitting for years
because rings are shot and we have a good 350 on the stand But Every time I bring it up the engine swap he mentions wanting to put in an LS in it, i know that that will likely never happen and she deserves some love so I decided to just give mine to the cause so I moved it 30 miles away to my folks place so the progress will be slow. Was over there today for Easter and so I looked at it to make a plan. Going to use the th400 it has. I heard I Need an adapter for torque converter and may or may not need to change flexplate depending on what one I have like if it's dished or not. Anyone know how to tell for sure? I'll try to get that picture to load.

Attachments

• 20230409_144221.jpg
    20230409_144221.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230409_144204.jpg
    20230409_144204.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 61

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Nice collection. Cool wheels too.

With any luck, you'll end up with another good core.
Tub the Chevette and stuff a V-8 in there... ?
You must be registered for see images attach

There's Rob's 68' with the 69' grill in the back ground... errr something like that...

Nice truck.
Happy Easter!

Last edited:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Yeah I like the idea of a good core, the tired engine is a 1970 350 from an impala. And We love chevettes lol. Dad has a fairly clean T1000. Always wanted to put a v8 in one or maybe one of those supercharged v6s.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Pics just loaded lol, I think the one on top might be a 79. Nice 3+3 in the background. Those are sweet!!

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Found a New-ish glove box on seat

Attachments

• 20230409_145537.jpg
    20230409_145537.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 39

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Got plans of msd kit to run a carb on it.

Attachments

• 20230409_134505.jpg
    20230409_134505.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230409_134448.jpg
    20230409_134448.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230409_135812.jpg
    20230409_135812.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 34

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Good catch!

He's got one of those high velocity caps goin' on, so the trailer don't catch so much air?

Tunnel the whole uni-body so the firewall plate between the engine and transmission, bell housing shield to half pipe, all solid to the rear axle bracket/mount.
1 solid multi dimeter tunnel.

That will keep that lil' getter from twisting at WOT.

You''l want the extra weight with the short wheel base, or the thing will flip over, every time you forget the wheelie bars. If you get the basic frame welded up and let it sit there for a few months... you'll get the itch...
Grab the rear end from the camper. Chop that sweetie down a good foot off each side, weld it all up.

Cost you a set of good coil overs, some weld on mounts and some strange axles. Who needs brakes, when you can buy an old parachute.

Heck, even if all you use is whatever good parts are left from all the dud engines, with a shot of juice, and a solid power adder cam, it would be fun on the weekends...

What's in the mobile home?
Dodge Big Block?

Last edited:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I like the ideas, always wanted to make one go fast lol. And yes it Was a 440. My younger self got rid of it... rear end I believe is a dana 70 or 80.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Multi coil ignition, MSD and a carb on the LS?

You might be able to mod the camper axle with the 727 TorqueFlight and the disc trans brake to work!

Rebuild the power booster and you got a working axle brake. You might even be able to weld together the rear dual-ee's and build a set of wide wheels for slicks, from the camper wheels. Glue em, screw em and run em. They already fit the axle bolt pattern...
Fat tires don't ever balance very well anyways.
Just rotate them on the wheels, till they are close and screw them down.

You'll want the long handle hanging from the roof bars to stop it, in case you lose the chute!

Your firewall could be your adaptor plate.

Seen a website, where a guy cut/welded his axles at the rear joint, wrapped 2 stainless steel 5" hose clamps and twisted them until the axle spun without wobbling, with the wheels off the ground for balance. Then he weighed the clamps, welded 2 washers where the screw heads ended up and raced it.

Front end will take some thought.

Your truck will look cool pulling your CH-vet dragster.

Last edited:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Yes probably multi coil setup. Naturally I want the distributor but it's allot more. But time will tell. For starters we'll do what it takes to get it into the truck. Need mounts and trans adapter. Planning to port match heads and change cam, headers and that kinda stuff.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Having the crank sensor and cam sensor will make it really cool, if you get the ignition set up with multi-coil.

It would be great to avoid the $400 for the MSD distro, and keep the coils... Just the fire control box... (Turkey Baster).

If there's a cost effective way to do it, somebody here will chime in... I've never built an LS, because they are so much money. Studied them though. Lot's of conflicting advice.

Your roller cam profile will be off for the carb?
You going to go flat or a different grind and stick with the roller lifters?

Read some guys talking about sending their cam in for a re-grind?

Most stock GM Roller cams are billet. If you can find a comparable billet grind, you could buy billet or see if re-grinding yours is affordable/do-able. Guys on another forum mentioned a company called Avon Cams? Have to look it up. Howard's grinds to spec too. You could call them and they might build a custom cam from yours?

I'm very interested on how your build goes.

Last edited:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Multi coil ignition, MSD and a carb on the LS?

You might be able to mod the camper axle with the 727 TorqueFlight and the disc trans brake to work!

Rebuild the power booster and you got a working axle brake. You might even be able to weld together the rear dual-ee's and build a set of wide wheels for slicks, from the camper wheels. Glue em, screw em and run em. They already fit the axle bolt pattern...
Fat tires don't ever balance very well anyways.
Just rotate them on the wheels, till they are close and screw them down.

You'll want the long handle hanging from the roof bars to stop it, in case you lose the chute!

Your firewall could be your adaptor plate.

Seen a website, where a guy cut/welded his axles at the rear joint, wrapped 2 stainless steel 5" hose clamps and twisted them until the axle spun without wobbling, with the wheels off the ground for balance. Then he weighed the clamps, welded 2 washers where the screw heads ended up and raced it.

Front end will take some thought.

Your truck will look cool pulling your CH-vet dragster.
I really think the adapter plate idea sounds pretty cool. I've heard of the hose clamp idea for driveshaft balancing , I've made/ shortened several driveshafts that work pretty good but never tried it yet. Probably should tho.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Having the crank sensor and cam sensor will make it really cool, if you get the ignition set up with multi-coil.

It would be great to avoid the $400 for the MSD distro, and keep the coils... Just the fire control box... (Turkey Baster).

If there's a cost effective way to do it, somebody here will chime in... I've never built an LS, because they are so much money. Studied them though. Lot's of conflicting advice. When my L29 gets here, the fun begins on my learning curve. Every part is $400 :(
Hope getting it running, keeps to the cheap.

Your roller cam profile will be off for the carb?
You going to go flat or a different grind and stick with the roller lifters?

I'm very interested on how your build goes.
I've converted from efi to carb on other things and it ran good. Plan to stay roller cam , not sure what is allowed with the spark box coil on plug setup. looking for more than just ba-rump ba-rump and still keep cost down. I want to be sucked to the gas tank when I hit the throttle lol

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
3/8" steel plate across the front, then cut out as much is needed for your tunnel spacing. Weld your tubes for the cage and your front end supports off it in both directions. The space for the fire wall is minuscule in the CH-Vett. Better have it all braced up good before you cut the tunnel out, or it will all fall apart.

Found it:

Huge amount of pages and every detail possible...
LINK:
Turbo CH-Vette

Here's an actual drag car with great shots of the rear axle fabrication Linkage:
1984 Chevy Chevette full tube chassis drag race car

Find a mustang rack-n-pinion front end... ?

You said you put the wheelie bars on?

Last edited:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Oops lol. Wow that thing is going to be so rad!!! When it gets done
3/8" steel plate across the front, then cut out as much is needed for your tunnel spacing. Weld your tubes for the cage and your front end supports off it in both directions. The space for the fire wall is minuscule in the CH-Vett. Better have it all braced up good before you cut the tunnel out, or it will all fall apart.

Found it:

Huge amount of pages and every detail possible...
LINK:
Turbo CH-Vette

Here's an actual drag car with great shots of the rear axle fabrication Linkage:
1984 Chevy Chevette full tube chassis drag race car

Find a mustang rack-n-pinion front end... ?

You said you put the wheelie bars on?
My mustang friend probably has a rack

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8