Gauge lights and rear running lights kaput

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
1982 suburban k20 6.2 diesel.

So I'm not original owner, and the previous owner chopped up the wiring. I was tracing something and the wire was 4 different colors by the time it made it into the wiring harness.
I was tryna get my radio to work, cleaning grounds tracing wires, doesn't work. Thsts whatever right now, running lights are more important.
So, front and side indicators work jist fine.
Read running lights don't work. The brake lights work when brake applied, reverse lights work. Lights flash when hazard button pushed in, and each rear indicator works.

I'm aware that the running lights are split into 2 circuits with 2 separate fuses, I checked them, they look ok. I saw a 30A which inthought was weird pretty sure the highest thats supposed to be in there is 20A.
Anyways.
It's either a fuse, or the previous guy ran a wire over and tied into the running lights and gauge light circuit, I think I know what component is causing the issue, however, before i go behind the dash and cluster again.

Can someone please send me a picture of their 1982-1984 6.2 diesel fuse block with the correct size fuses in the correct area. Because the pictures I'm finding on Google aren't matching, and telling me to check the LPS or whatever is pointless because I can't read jack **** on that fuse block.
I want to make sure everything is good, start easy, then if the problem persists I'll know to go diving behind the dash!.

Thanks ever so much guys n gals
Spring is here, get those squarebodies out and driving!
There's a pic of my block, sorry I'm 6'6 tall. If I find the guy who thought it was a good idea to put thst block there, we'd have a short conversation. Lol
Cheers again folks

Attachments

• 20200408_175602.jpg
    20200408_175602.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 68

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Type this into a search engine "pictures of 1982 suburban k20 fuse block"

Click on "images" up near the address bar. Lots of good pics of your fuse block. Should be able to find one that matches yours.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Find the rear taillight harness on the firewall electrical connector (the engine side of the fuse box) find the brown wire. That’s the taillight feed to the rear lamps. Turn on the parking lamps, you should have power there. You can back probe the connector with a test light without disconnecting anything. You may need to wiggle the test light around to make a good connection, GM was pretty generous with the goop they used to seal the connector.

Since the parking lights work on the front, I’m betting you have power at the brown wire for the taillights. Both parking lamps are powered by the same wire on the inside of the truck on the main harness.

If you do have power on the brown wire, your problem is in the taillight harness somewhere between the firewall connector and the tail lamps. If someone has hacked the taillight harness for a trailer plug, that’s where I would start looking. There is a plug that connects the rear lamps to the taillight harness, hopefully that’s still there and intact. Unplug it and check for power on the brown wire. If you have power there, the problem is between that connector and the taillights.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
GM has the dash lights on a lower amp fuse that feeds from the tail light fuse. They have done this for years so if you don't have dash lights, you will know you also may not have tail lights.

You said you looked at the fuse. Did you check the tail light fuse with a test light or a meter?

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Sorry turbo4whl and Matt.
Was at work, work on ships and wifi is pretty bad.
So I ended up finding a picture of a gm fuse box and replicated the picture. And it worked. I dont know what I did to make it work sadly, I just copied and pasted what i saw in the picture to my fuse block and tried it.
Appreciate the feedback and ideas. Def good tips in case it all goes **** up again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDuke