Gauge cluster with tach

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
i just bought this... will it work in my 1988 K5? Auto crate 350... if it will work what doni need to hook up the tachometer?

Thanks,
Adam

You must be registered for see images attach

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have new tach harnesses-if you are still running an external coil on that TBI motor I’ll just need to change out the connector that goes to your coil instead of this HEI connector. $49 shipped if you want one.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I have new tach harnesses-if you are still running an external coil on that TBI motor I’ll just need to change out the connector that goes to your coil instead of this HEI connector. $49 shipped if you want one.

Sounds great but I have no idea lol... i beleive i am. I’ll pop the hood when i get home and look.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If that cluster is the '78-up style with electric oil pressure gauge, it will work fine. But, to retain the stock VSS, I think you have to swap your original speedo into that cluster and then do some minor mods to the housing so you can mount the VSS. But then the gauge face won't match. To avoid that, you could run an inline style VSS down where the cable hooks to the trans. Without looking it up, I don't remember what exactly you would do to wire in that style sensor.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If that cluster is the '78-up style with electric oil pressure gauge, it will work fine. But, to retain the stock VSS, I think you have to swap your original speedo into that cluster and then do some minor mods to the housing so you can mount the VSS. But then the gauge face won't match. To avoid that, you could run an inline style VSS down where the cable hooks to the trans. Without looking it up, I don't remember what exactly you would do to wire in that style sensor.

Yep rhat is way beyond me man lol... I definitely want it to look correct and work properly

MMostowyk

Reaction score
First Name
Morris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 L
I did this in my 84 k20 with a 96 LT1/4L60 combo. The VSS issue is only difficult if you remove the trans tail stock and lose the VSS signal. Then it’s about converting mechanical input from trans to electrical signal.
Otherwise you need to make sure that all the printed leads in the cluster match the connector in your truck. I traced each one on both sides and the relocated the leads to match. That way all lights and indicators function. Pain but it works.
Tach only needs a signal.

calredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kerch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I traced each one on both sides and the relocated the leads to match. That way all lights and indicators function. Pain but it works.
Tach only needs a signal.
That what I did in like 81 or 82 and I needed my brother the wrench to get it right.