Gauge cluster wire location question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
The wire from the bulb seems to connect to the ground at the ash tray, and I bet if I put the bulb in the socket the wrong way it will produce a dead short to ground for the gauge lights .....
Can anybody verify my theory and tell me which of the PC copper strips it needs to contact.
OR, is this ground wire REALLY needed and I can simply install a bulb without the ground wire ??
You must be registered for see images attach

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
The wire from the bulb seems to connect to the ground at the ash tray, and I bet if I put the bulb in the socket the wrong way it will produce a dead short to ground for the gauge lights .....
Can anybody verify my theory and tell me which of the PC copper strips it needs to contact.
OR, is this ground wire REALLY needed and I can simply install a bulb without the ground wire ??
You must be registered for see images attach

I believe that is the fiber optic cable that illuminates the ashtray.

So, not a ground - put the bulb in and go.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
THANKS !!!
Upon looking at it closer, I didn't see where it would make a ground connection so your suggestion makes perfect sense, and the pickup points right at the base of the bulb, so it's not going to work with LED bulbs I am installing but will require a standard bulb (if I can find one with enough brightness).
It sucks to get old and fall apart and need more illumination at night just to see anything.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
THANKS !!!
Upon looking at it closer, I didn't see where it would make a ground connection so your suggestion makes perfect sense, and the pickup points right at the base of the bulb, so it's not going to work with LED bulbs I am installing but will require a standard bulb (if I can find one with enough brightness).
It sucks to get old and fall apart and need more illumination at night just to see anything.

You talking about the truck , or you ?:D

As I peck this answer 1 fingered while wearing 2x cheaters...

:(

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I put a 168 bulb in the socket (the brightest of that base style bulb) and when I look at the other end of the fiber optic cable thingy, it sure isn't very bright plus the RH side of the gas gauge doesn't get illuminated as well as everything else..
So, I guess I go back to the original idea of using all LED's for gauge lights and figure another way to see the ash tray at night.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Take a Q-Tip and some alcohol and clean both ends of the fiber.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
168 is the OEM bulb for all dash lights.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8