Gauge Cluster Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Sandman

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 3+3
Engine Size
Instrument cluster problem/question -
A couple of my gauges didn’t work so I purchased a used but working (according to the seller) gauge cluster. Once I installed it, looked like everything works but when I turned on the light switch, all the gauges went whacko and the turn signal indicators turned on. My guess is that it’s a ground issue, maybe.
So, instead of installing the whole cluster, I removed the fuel gauge from that cluster and put it in my original cluster. Reinstalled my original with the swapped out fuel gauge and the exact same thing - turn the light switch on and the gauges went nuts and the turn signal indicators both came on.
Any ideas? What have I done?

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I'd start by switching the moved gauges back and testing the original cluster to see if it was permanent damage.

Then you'll have to figure out if it is just the fuel gauge that is messed up (which would stink since that is the one you needed) and why. I don't have a better answer but testing is where I would start.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Check the contacts where the harness plugs into the printed circuit. They’re delicate and sometimes corroded and that’ll cause a ton of problems. Basically you have to clean each bare spot of copper where the gauges make contact to and the wire harness plugs into as well.

Ben

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii