gasket sealer for transmission pan gasket ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
just got a drain plug welded in, should I use a gasket sealer or will the plain gasket do the trick?? I usually use right stuff sealer, no leaks!!

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I've always been told to use a bare high quality gasket only. My understanding is that comes from a fear of the possibility of RTV coming loose and settling somewhere deeper in.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
What type of gasket? cork, cork/rubber, rubber, silicone, the new style composite with the sealer lines already on the gasket? Most (one piece) gaskets don't require sealant.

If you are into self punishment, use a cork gasket with lots of RTV silicone, over tighten the bolts, and then immediately put trans fluid in it, start it and bring it up to temp. I have found through first hand experience, this method to be most entertaining and regretful.

On a serious note, I would think if they don't put some basic instructions in the package, they should at least have some recommendations on their website. I feel better if they at least include the basic "Don't play with it in the bathtub while it's plugged in" warning.

The general consensus online is just a little gasket adhesive to hold it in place while you install the pan.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I always use the reusable composite ones now. The one on my 6L80 went 10 years and 200,000 miles with zero leaks. I have one for my 4L80e now also and the TH400 on my 1980 K25 also has one on it and zero leaks.

Even though you have a drain plug on it now, you are still going to want to remove the pan every time you change the fluid, so the composite is well worth it.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Bro.

I can help you.

I know this in part because I've droped many dozens of transmission pans in my day and I had to sign my name on each one.

*pro-tip*
In my experience , there is no better option for this than Permatex brush-on gasket sealant # 80062. Yep. Ima pro at dropping trans pans buddy and you can take it from me.

Clean it all very good.

Brush this stuff liberally on both sides of the gasket and let it sit if you can for about 10 minutes - but don't touch it, that stuff is STICKY ICKY and will stay on your fingers for days - but the gasket will never.ever. leak.

Don't forget to put the magnet back in OR put a magnet in and - Dextron 6 supersedes everything else now.
You must be registered for see images attach

Good luck!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Thanks for the input guys, I come from the age when we bench pressed the transmissions into place and we only had cork gaskets. scraping old gasket sealer off is a pain in the as$!! I think I will just put the new gasket on dry,It's the neoprene or rubber style,and run this thing for awhile then do a drain and filter replace in a couple months, if everything works good then maybe seal it up with some extra sealant. I plan on dumping the fluid in a short time to flush the torque converter and run the new filter for a bit.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If the mounting surfaces are clean and straight, a gasket with nothing else is s as ok you need. No need for any sealers.

The new neoprene gaskets work great. You sometimes need to smack the pan with a hammer to get the pan to come loose from the case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike