Gas pedal hard to o press

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
I have a 1990 suburban 350 tbi 4x4 and the gas pedal is very hard to push. Moved easily at the throttle body even with the tv/kick down cable attached so i bought and replaced the throttle cable and was surprised to find that the cable i was replacing exits the fire wall does a short loop then attaches to the tbi. This seems like it would cause friction but its the way that the origional was and i could not make mine fit any other way because it was too long. So i installed if the same and have the same issue. I still think the issue is the fairly tight maybe 6-7in loop in the throttle cable. So i am considering a universal throttle cable . Has anybody used one that the had good luck and quality with? Also with the location of the throttle body to the firewall throttle cable hole i only have 2 options install a shorter cable that comes out and does an s curve or install a longer cable that does a larger more gradual loop. Not quite shure how i would route that i guess around the throttle body and then connect. Any advice appreciated. Also tv cable looks like new and trans was replaced shortly before i bought the truck so i dont think thats it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Although tv cable looks new the majority of drag seems to be coming from the tv cable its much easire to push the pedal with it off. With cable and trans being new im not sure why this is but thought id update the post that this is what i have found

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
My throttle cable was near impossible to use, so I bought a replacement and I had the same issue as before. Then I decided to go mechanical, I had to use a little bit of universal stuff but it’s the best pedal I’ve ever felt honestly, even better than the drive by wire pedals in like mid 2000’s chevys.

I got a billet lokar pedal assembly for a 67-72 chevy, it’s supposed to be for their cable conversion but I drilled out the top “cable linkage” on the pedal assembly, to a 1/4 inch, then I got two smaller “heim” joints for carb stuff. Used one at the pedal end and the other at the carb. I ran a 1/4 bolt through each joint at the carb and pedal, the I bent up a universal straight throttle linkage bar.

The only downside is you’ll have to massage the firewall slightly for the linkage rod to have a free range of travel, it doesn’t need much though. It may cut into the original throttle cable retention spot on the firewall, but I didn’t have any plan of putting a cable back in in the first place, and after driving a few thousand miles I never will put a cable back in.

Not only that but this is going to be an upgrade I do to all of my squares!! Find the right throttle return spring by running a few different ones and you’re golden. I love the mechanical connection!

Another note, you do get a slight engine feel in the pedal but nothing ridiculous. And everything bolts up other than having to bend your linkage!

You must be registered for see images attach

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
My throttle cable was near impossible to use, so I bought a replacement and I had the same issue as before. Then I decided to go mechanical, I had to use a little bit of universal stuff but it’s the best pedal I’ve ever felt honestly, even better than the drive by wire pedals in like mid 2000’s chevys.

I got a billet lokar pedal assembly for a 67-72 chevy, it’s supposed to be for their cable conversion but I drilled out the top “cable linkage” on the pedal assembly, to a 1/4 inch, then I got two smaller “heim” joints for carb stuff. Used one at the pedal end and the other at the carb. I ran a 1/4 bolt through each joint at the carb and pedal, the I bent up a universal straight throttle linkage bar.

The only downside is you’ll have to massage the firewall slightly for the linkage rod to have a free range of travel, it doesn’t need much though. It may cut into the original throttle cable retention spot on the firewall, but I didn’t have any plan of putting a cable back in in the first place, and after driving a few thousand miles I never will put a cable back in.

Not only that but this is going to be an upgrade I do to all of my squares!! Find the right throttle return spring by running a few different ones and you’re golden. I love the mechanical connection!

Another note, you do get a slight engine feel in the pedal but nothing ridiculous. And everything bolts up other than having to bend your linkage!

Interesting idea i will keep in mind for possible future options

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat