Garage Heater Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
I am looking at propane heaters for my attached garage which is 24' x 32' x 9'. I was leaning towards a vented heater with a blower but I see radiant heaters (ventless) and don't know which would be best. I'm in SW Ohio where winter temps are frequently in the 20's. Any colder and I won't be out in the garage working.I also only plan on using the heater when I need to do work on my truck. Anyone with experience have any suggestions? Thanks for your input.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
IMO, wood stove would be best, if you have a place to put it. Electric space heaters are good for the immediate area but not enough for even a 1 car garage.

Not sure how much propane is in your area, you definitely don't want a radiant heater because you will have to open a door or window to vent the CO from the heater.

googled "garage heater" and came up with these... some electric some propane
https://www.google.com/search?q=gar...ohbHdAhUL16QKHZhtBOkQ1TUIrgE&biw=1517&bih=883

Mr. Heater ones have decent reviews.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When my dad bought his house (he lives next door to me, so Ohio) it had a nice wood stove in the workshop and his insurance company wouldn't insure him until the wood stove was removed.

Right before we moved in here ( we rent), the landlords had done a bit of a renovation on the house. During this time, they removed the old wood stove for insurance reasons.

I really like wood burners for heat, but if you go that route, check to see if you will be able to keep your homeowners/renters insurance.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have been trying to decide on what to heat my garage with too. I have a rediheater (torpedo, salamander, who knows what you call these where you are). Mine will run on kerosene, diesel, or jet fuel but with the farm I have diesel on hand the cheapest. The thing keeps my shop warm when working but it never fails that I get a headache after any work in there when I have that thing going. In turn I don't use it much and have been trying to come up with something simple that I will use.

I don't have a lot of time when I do get to work in the garage and a wood stove probably isn't my best bet. I had one in my old garage and it seems about the time the garage finally warmed up I don't have anymore time to work so I was just as well off working in the cold.

I have considered those Mr Heater Big MaXX but so far the $$ haven't been available. I like the ones you can hang from the ceiling and not lose any floor space. Would be especially nice with a thermostat so I don't have to fiddle with it and can just kick it on and off when I leave.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I had a 40x50 x14 shop downtown that we put gas radiant heaters in . Reasonably priced and fairly economical. Retired sold shop built a new 32x30x12 and put 1 gas radiant heater in across the 32 foot span(had 2 downtown) Wasn't real cold this past winter (Not below +10),set it on 50 and left it all winter cost was never over $30. Intermountain Gas is our carrier here but you can have them run propane ,too.

Jerry phillion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Do you have natural gas available? If so, check with a furnace installer and ask if they have a takeout furnace that is still good.
I had a overhead heater in my garage, and at that time I worked
On snowmobiles.the floor was always cold for about 3 ft up, then it was hot from there up.thatl lasted1 year and it was gone.
Picked up a used furnace from installer. Furnace draws air from
The bottom and circulates all around. So much better. Probably
Cheaper too. Only way to go.

dcameron787

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I had the radiant tube in my last shop. Worked good but did take some time to heat up the garage when it was left off. When we moved to our second house I decided to put in a overhead gas furnace. It’s heats the space up so much quicker. Hands down a big improvement over the radiant tube. My is modine. I think they call it there hot dawg line.

bft305

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I agree about the propane as being expensive way to go! $$$ A buddy of mine uses propane and he spends a lot in the winter. Have you thought about a pellet stove? I guess you would have to check with the insurance company. They usually have small clearance requirements on the sides and back for installation requirements.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You might also consider one of the old Warm Morning stoves. People used to use them to heat their houses back in the day. Some folks still use them. I believe they can be either propane or natural.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wood stoves have a requirement to be so far away from burnable material and have some type of protectant to the walls. i.e. tile/stone/concrete floor and brick/stone/etc. on the wall. Example here...

You must be registered for see images attach

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Wood stoves have a requirement to be so far away from burnable material and have some type of protectant to the walls. i.e. tile/stone/concrete floor and brick/stone/etc. on the wall. Example here...

So, as long as the stove doesn't leak, no smoke will get inside the room?

You'll have to forgive me as i've only worked with electric and kerosene; It doesn't get "hard-core" cold here, and, if it does get cold, i don't work in the garage........:(

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
I either have to go with propane (expensive) or electric.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Distances are more for the radiant heat coming off the stove so walls don't burst into flames.

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne Camper Special, C30 Crew Cab Dualy
Engine Size
350, 496
I've only had to deal with temps in the low 30's but I can tell you that walmart sells a little heater with a built in fan for $15 that can get a small room really toasty. One of the few times something cheap and imported actually works better than I expected. I bet two or three would give you nice heat all around the garage. They are only about 12"x 5" x 5" and sit nicely just about anywhere. It's a cheap way to go and if you dont use it often and just want instant heat wherever you are it might be a good option. You can point them wherever you are working and they really crank out heat for how small and cheap they are. ive had mine in my garage for about 4 years now and still works like a champ. I also use it as my heat gun quite often lol.

Last edited:

morrow07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
1977 - 1989
Truck Model
Cheyenne - V2500
Engine Size
406 - 350
This is what I had. Natural gas from the factory. Converted my uncles to propane, and keeps the shop nice even below 0 in Idaho.

http://www.modinehvac.com/web/products/residential-gashydronic-unit-heaters-hotdawg.htm

We garage is all electric. Now I did a ductless mini split. Works great, and have AC and dehumidifying as well. I do HVAC for a living, so everything is done at cost. Otherwise, I might just choose to layer clothing to save $$$

https://comfortup.com/products/gree...3gIVzB6tBh1Oygr5EAQYASABEgIOevD_BwE&id=CU1952

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shock loaded