g80 or gov loc removal to make it open? is it possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Is it possible to remove the weights from a g80 setup and make it open?

I know it'd be easy enough to find an open carrier, or to find another posi unit or something to swap.

I'm looking for cheap options, not so much a g80 rebuild, and without ebing able to travel or find junkyards close finding one isn't that easy. It's also not cheap, because why would I buy an open carrier, I'd want posi.

I'm only looking into if it's possible to emove the weight and such, in a gov loc g80 to make it open. AND be safe to drive that way.

I'm worried the old g80 we have may be going out, and I have another complete rearend to replace it, thanks @bucket for that.

The reason I ask is because dad's 84 c10 has a 273 g80, and my trans am of course has an 8.5 as well but it's open and has 2.56's, well I want a better ratio, like 3.42's or so for the TA. My thoughts were remove the g80 weights from his carrier, only because the weights are what I'm guessing come apart and tear things up, and then put it in my TA housing so I can bolt on some 3.42's or so.

Of course I may end up finding a 3.42's posi setup somewhere adn use it but just for the hell of it wondering if it'd work or if I can make it work.

I saw one video on youtubr say to just remove em and be done. I also saw on some forums one guy saying for a 14b or so he added some clutches and some preload springs and such to make it like a posi. That would be awesome.

Anyone ever messed with one and tried to remove those weights and run it? If not I may tear into it when I swap dad's rear ends out and see how it goes.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Well i can tell you my 3.08 blown apart gov bomb is running as an open right now. It blew apart and someone took all the pieces out and left it ride. But it needs a carrier bearing and chatters bad. Not sure if you can just pull the parts out n go.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
That's what the uotube video was saying to remove those weight that run from side to sid enad let er fly but I dunno

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes, you should be able to remove the weights. If it doesn't engage, it can't explode. Well, it still can. Just not by itself, lol.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that was my thoughts. I know I could always get in there with a cut off and chop them off and out of the way I guess. I'll have to check into it once I get it out. It's gonna be basically scrap anyways so no harm if it doesn't work.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I've checked into aftermarket Posi upgrades for my 14 bolt FF G80, and every one I've found has been designed to install into an open carrier. I'd just budget for the right solution and leave in alone until you have the time and money.

Bruce

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I would but in my case that'd be never.

I don't have a problem trying to find an open carrier later, that'd work fine for me as I wanted to do a lunch box type locker anyways. It may also be cheap enough to find a used open diff. that'd hold those gears. The TA has an open diff now, and might be an option, but require the thick gears, not something I'd likely find cheap, used.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg