Fuse box picture?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
So most of lettering and numbers have worn off my fuse box. I want to make sure everything has the proper fuse and was hoping that someone might have a picture of a fuse box with the proper fuses. I have an 81 c2500 with electric windows and locks.

Also my left turn signal indicator stays on when the headlights are on, works normally when headlights are off. My turn signal works fine otherwise. I've replaced the bulb based on advice I read earlier, no change. I'm confident in the cluster and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks all.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
So most of lettering and numbers have worn off my fuse box. I want to make sure everything has the proper fuse and was hoping that someone might have a picture of a fuse box with the proper fuses. I have an 81 c2500 with electric windows and locks.

Also my left turn signal indicator stays on when the headlights are on, works normally when headlights are off. My turn signal works fine otherwise. I've replaced the bulb based on advice I read earlier, no change. I'm confident in the cluster and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks all.

Here's a diagram for an '81 truck. Double check to make sure it looks visually correct. Sounds like a short in your turning light. Make sure good contact is being made between the bulb and the socket, it's the correct bulb, there's good ground, and the bulb's not in there backwards. My car did that, and the bulb was in backwards. I had done that many months ago mistakenly because it lit both filaments and looked better, but it screwed up the back and forth between the light in the bumper and the one in the headlight assembly, and it made the turn signal arrow on the respective side glow whenever the headlights were on unless I was signaling in that direction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 6,818
Last edited:

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Here's a diagram for an '81 truck. Double check to make sure it looks visually correct. Sounds like a short in your turning light. Make sure good contact is being made between the bulb and the socket, it's the correct bulb, there's good ground, and the bulb's not in there backwards. My car did that, and the bulb was in backwards. I had done that many months ago mistakenly because it lit both filaments and looked better, but it screwed up the back and forth between the light in the bumper and the one in the headlight assembly, and it made the turn signal arrow on the respective side glow whenever the headlights were on unless I was signaling in that direction.

Thanks, between that and my user manual (it lists all the fuse amps but doesn't show which slot is which) I should be able to figure it out. I'll check those out, this has been a nagging issue for years. Actually early on it was intermittent, sometimes it would work as intended, others it would glow when the headlights were on. But for quite awhile it's been a constant problem, I just assumed it was the wiring in my cluster since I had other little gremlins. I've chased all the rest down now and only this remains to taunt me.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks, between that and my user manual (it lists all the fuse amps but doesn't show which slot is which) I should be able to figure it out. I'll check those out, this has been a nagging issue for years. Actually early on it was intermittent, sometimes it would work as intended, others it would glow when the headlights were on. But for quite awhile it's been a constant problem, I just assumed it was the wiring in my cluster since I had other little gremlins. I've chased all the rest down now and only this remains to taunt me.

I'm fairly certain that the fuse block shown above is for a later model. The giveaway is that there is no socket for the hazard flasher in the upper LH corner. It wasn't until 1985 that the hazard flasher was moved from the fuse block to the "Convenience Center".

Here is the fuse block wiring diagram from the 1981 Service Manual. It is pretty hard to read:

You must be registered for see images attach

But below is the FB dwg from the 1983 Electrical Diagrams book. It is much easier to read and a careful comparison shows that the fuse socket designations and connected wiring are the same as 1981 (1982 was almost as sucky as the 81):

And here is an image of an actual 81-83 FB:

The only difference in this picture is the addition of an ECM fuse. It is most likely not included in the other drawings because it was only used with California emissions packages.

If you posted a picture of what your fuse block looks like, we could offer you a more definitive description of what fuses go where.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
But below is the FB dwg from the 1983 Electrical Diagrams book. It is much easier to read and a careful comparison shows that the fuse socket designations and connected wiring are the same as 1981 (1982 was almost as sucky as the 81):

If you posted a picture of what your fuse block looks like, we could offer you a more definitive description of what fuses go where.

Thanks, that is very helpful! Here's some pictures of mine. Sorry about the quality and angles, was quite tricky to get my phone to play well and the brake line for the trailer brakes was in the way. Looks like the original owner added more to the wiring than I thought.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks, that is very helpful! Here's some pictures of mine. Sorry about the quality and angles, was quite tricky to get my phone to play well and the brake line for the trailer brakes was in the way. Looks like the original owner added more to the wiring than I thought.

Yep, you should good using the dwgs above or the images below. Between the three of these you should be able to identify the intended service for each fuse clip. Disregard the ECM BAT slot:

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Sorry about that. I looked for a fuse diagram for an '81 truck, and this is what came up most specifically. In my defense, I thought it looked fishy because of the flasher issue, but I don't have an '81 so I trusted it. I hope you get it figured out.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Thanks guys, definitely gonna be able to get things sorted out with your help. And I gotta say every technical question I've had has gotten a swift helpful answer on this forum. Best of luck and have a good one.

woarpath

Reaction score
First Name
arland
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Dose any one know someplace that we either relabel Or make labels for the c10 fuse boxes

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The fuse box went under changes a few different times. Another user had a thread with a very high res photo of their fuse box in good condition.

I can get a good one of a pre-1979(or so, glass fuses) but if you have an 81, you will need a later box. There werent many huge changes iirc from onward. if youd like a diagram i can show you a 1980 shop manual

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL