FUEL TANK SWITCH ORIENTATION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

70SBUDGET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 CUSTOM
Engine Size
1976 CK20 Has dual tanks. passenger tank is rotted. I am unfamiliar with how the fuel switch works. when it is down, like turning a light switch off, is this selecting the left/drivers tank. up selecting the passenger/right tank?

70SBUDGET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 CUSTOM
Engine Size

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Totally agree but i just dont know if it switched down opperates the left or right tank. :)
If one tank is empty and another isn't, you'll learn pretty quick which one is which when you crank the engine. Be warned though, the valve that the switch controls can break and cause you to be stuck on one tank.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
IIRC, up would be the driver or main tank, down would be passenger or aux.

70SBUDGET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 CUSTOM
Engine Size
If one tank is empty and another isn't, you'll learn pretty quick which one is which when you crank the engine. Be warned though, the valve that the switch controls can break and cause you to be stuck on one tank.
actually pretty funny. however im trying to make sure prior owners labels work for my understanding. also not getting fuel to carb regardless of orientation so ......could still use actual orientation.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Mine is marked as RH (up) and LH (down). In early trucks the right hand is the main tank, so with no power to the solenoid under the truck it will run off the right hand tank. With power applied the solenoid switches to the left hand (drivers side) tank.

The DPDT switch serves two functions - activate the solenoid, and switch the gauge feed over between tanks. One “side” needs a power feed from the fuse panel, and of course the power line running to the solenoid. The other side has the gauge feed in the middle, and the sending unit wires on each side.

I assume your truck has the single power terminal solenoid like my truck (later trucks have a six wire connector). It may be a 3 port solenoid that only switches the fuel feed, or it may be a six port that switches fuel feed and fuel return. The old six port, single terminal solenoids are impossible to find (all the new single terminal Pollack valves are 3 port), but I’ve seen postings about how to switch an old truck to the newer six terminal solenoid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400