Fuel pump on 1987 GMC 2500 HD with throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Noll

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
Gmc sierra 2500 hd
Engine Size
So I am new to this but not GM trucks but this is first for me. I am going through this after 20 yrs of it sitting on my farm, pulled the bed and found the top of the gas tank rotted out, so I ordered a new tank. Pulled the sending unit out of the old tank and was a little surprised when it came right out with no plug for a fuel pump. So I thought while I am at it I will add a second tank, so I order the passenger side tank for said truck with a new sending unit. This sending came with a plug hanging off of it for fuel pump. So now I start scratching head and crawl underneath the truck and trace the original fuel lines from the original position left side tank up the frame rail and right I to the TB. No fuel pump in the tank and none externally. So tell me how can that be? Anyone? Thanks much!!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
So I am new to this but not GM trucks but this is first for me. I am going through this after 20 yrs of it sitting on my farm, pulled the bed and found the top of the gas tank rotted out, so I ordered a new tank. Pulled the sending unit out of the old tank and was a little surprised when it came right out with no plug for a fuel pump. So I thought while I am at it I will add a second tank, so I order the passenger side tank for said truck with a new sending unit. This sending came with a plug hanging off of it for fuel pump. So now I start scratching head and crawl underneath the truck and trace the original fuel lines from the original position left side tank up the frame rail and right I to the TB. No fuel pump in the tank and none externally. So tell me how can that be? Anyone? Thanks much!!

Did the tank have a baffle? Maybe at some point someone stole the sending unit and pump for something else? I think the lines are identical for 87 and earlier, it's only the blazer ones that went to the saginaw style fuel line connectors and all hard line.

Matt Noll

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
Gmc sierra 2500 hd
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply, after posting I did a lookup of the fuel pump for this truck and realized it is incorporated into the sending unit which didn't even notice when I pulled it from the old tank and put it in the new one. Not sure why the new sending unit didn't come with a pump but I think I am hot on the trail. Thx again and yes the old tank had a baffle in it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave