Fuel line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
i am now running an 87/88 tbi block.
I have a P4070 fuel pump on the passenger frame rail.
Where the stock metal line would go to the mechanics pump goes, I have a 3/8 rubber line that goes to a clear plastic filter and a fuel pressure gauge and then to a fitting to my qjet.

I can actually see fuel boiling in the plastic filter. I know, they are junk.
So I get a hesitation when it’s hot out and I have been idling for any amount of time. Example, rush hour traffic.

What else can I do for fuel line. I am going to remove the plastic filter but will that eliminate all of my issues?
Is there a way I should run a rubber fuel line so it doesn’t boil?
Should I go stainless braided with AN fittings?
I’d like to go metal, but I’m not sure how to go from frame rail to crab.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The stock metal fuel line runs over from the carburetor, down behind the alternator, and connects to the fuel pump. If you have no mechanical pump, I would connect a metal fuel filter (much more damage-resistant than plastic) to the metal line at that point, and then run a rubber or metal hose over to the electric pump on the frame rail. You may be able to find a flare fitting/adapter to screw on to the end of a stock fuel line and allow connection of a rubber hose. If not, you may need to cut off the flare fitting and install a compression fitting with a nipple for a rubber hose.

Running metal line behind the alternator is safe, keeps it away from the exhaust manifold, and the metal line should throw off heat quickly enough to prevent fuel from boiling.

If you can find it, I also recommend using SAE J30R9 or J30R7 fuel hose. Its much more resistant to new ethanol fuel. Most stores carry it, but its more expensive than the standard fuel hose.

Bruce

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Yeah. I was wondering about running some type of metal line from the qjet to where the metal fuel line would, what I assume, would have been rubber to the fuel pump.

Would it be worth it to get the OE tubing from the carb to the *fuel pump* and then run rubber from that tube to the frame rail tube?

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Can you provide a pic of your setup?

Also, do you currently have a return line in the system?

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Can you provide a pic of your setup?

Also, do you currently have a return line in the system?

+1 on the return line.
You said you have a gauge plumbed in. What pressure is the pump putting out?

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
No return line.
4.5 psi steady. All day, everyday.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Hard to see in this pic, but if you work from the carb, it’s rubber line, gauge, rubber line, stupid plastic filter that needs to be removed, rubber line that runs behind the AC compressor and goes to where the original rub line went to the fuel pump from the metal line that runs down the passenger frame rail
You must be registered for see images attach

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Sorry for the slow reply---very busy; Will respond in detail, with a solution that could likely work for you when there is time---maybe this weekend.

You're almost there.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sorry for the slow reply---very busy; Will respond in detail, with a solution that could likely work for you when there is time---maybe this weekend.

You're almost there.
Don't bother. He'll figure it out with some real help around here. BTW- did you ever light your truck on fire, and go buy a new one? Probably still a good idea....

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I’m not. I’ve decided to wrap the headers and maybe try to wrap the fuel line because, why the F not? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This ethanol bs in 100° Texas heat is killing me.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Nicopp is great for fuel lines, ethanol resistant and easy to bend and flare. I’d go with a metal fuel filter as recommended, especially since you have the gauge—another means to determine fuel supply besides the clear filter. Also, a return would definitely help.

Scrunching up foil around boiling fuel lines has helped me with fuel boil in the past, but I wouldn’t recommend it as a long term solution.

Some pics of when I did mine out of nicopp. One piece from tank to engine bay, except where the filter is on supply side.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Sorry for the slow reply; Been working a lot---been tired a lot.

i was having similar problems----in hot weather traffic jams i would stall when accelerating. The engine would start back up, but it would stall out again and i would have to repeat this a few times before i could drive away normally again; Here in the Northeast people are not as nice, patient, and polite as people in Texas, so you can imagine how nerve racking that was.

What i'm pretty sure has solved the problem(because i've since been in countless traffic jams with no problems), and i think would likely solve your problems is i put in/reused the return line. i had been using an electric pump for a while with no return.

What i did was to use a fuel filter with a return outlet. Wix # 33041

#33041 has 3/8" inlet and outlet fuel line
(#33040 has 5/16" inlet and outlet fuel line)
Both have 1/4" return outlet.

Your 84 should have a return line plumbed in?

i do have a billet holley regulator, but i wanted to try the filter first because it's lighter+simpler.

The filter is light enough to float freely. Could be a perfect replacement over your plastic filter. i zip tied it down for extra security though. This may not be the best setup, but it will work for now. The fuel line wrap is not finished, but will work also work for now.

Watch:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Forgot to mention that the return line keeps the fuel circulating which keeps the fuel cooler.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sorry for the slow reply; Been working a lot---been tired a lot.

i was having similar problems----in hot weather traffic jams i would stall when accelerating. The engine would start back up, but it would stall out again and i would have to repeat this a few times before i could drive away normally again; Here in the Northeast people are not as nice, patient, and polite as people in Texas, so you can imagine how nerve racking that was.

What i'm pretty sure has solved the problem(because i've since been in countless traffic jams with no problems), and i think would likely solve your problems is i put in/reused the return line. i had been using an electric pump for a while with no return.

What i did was to use a fuel filter with a return outlet. Wix # 33041

#33041 has 3/8" inlet and outlet fuel line
(#33040 has 5/16" inlet and outlet fuel line)
Both have 1/4" return outlet.

Your 84 should have a return line plumbed in?

i do have a billet holley regulator, but i wanted to try the filter first because it's lighter+simpler.

The filter is light enough to float freely. Could be a perfect replacement over your plastic filter. i zip tied it down for extra security though. This may not be the best setup, but it will work for now. The fuel line wrap is not finished, but will work also work for now.

Watch:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ROTFL
I take it.... you like blue....
And aluminum foil
Aaaand frog tape

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members