Fuel Line Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spilfner

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I need some input on my restoration. I'm working on my 1983 K10, and need some help with what to do with fuel lines. Originally, it had a 3 port sending unit (3/8" fuel, 1/4" return, 5/16" vent or vapor?), and 3 ports on the fuel pump. I have installed a new fuel tank and sending unit. I bought a new 3 port sending unit, but the new fuel pump only has an inlet and an outlet. I hooked up the sending unit to all 3 original metal lines just like it was before. My plan is to plug the return line (at the far end of the metal line by the pump), but what do I do with the 3rd vent line? Should I leave it open somewhere or just plug it off as well?

Taylorb27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I would get a 3 connector fuel pump. You can cap that 3rd line that goes to the charcoal canister but you will need a vented fuel cap. That is your "vent" line. Without it you will create a vacuum in the tank and have fuel starvation problems. You can also drill a small hole in the middle of your gas cap. Ive seen that before

Why plug your return line?

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Same situation here.I used the return port on the fuel tank to plumb in a in bed toolbox/aux tank.Worked great.

Spilfner

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had just read that a return line wasn't necessarily required, so when I got a pump from summit I just got one without the return. The only reason I bought a 3 port sending unit was so I could hook up to the metal lines in case I ever decided to use them all.

I did buy a vented gas cap, will that be enough? For some reason i thought that only let air in but not out...or the other way around.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
It’s enough.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Having a return line should help prevent vapor lock. With no return line the fuel dead-heads when the float needle closes off flow, and it picks up more engine heat. With a return the fuel keeps flowing and extra fuel returns to the tank, which pulls cooler fuel up to the pump. YMMV

Bruce

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Put the correct pump back on it.Throw away the vented cap.As a matter of fact your post starts with you are restoring your truck,altering your truck isn't restoring your truck.GM went to 3 port pumps to prevent vapor lock, everyone went to sealed fuel systems and a purge system to prevent your gasoline from evaporating and to stop condensation(water) from contaminating your fuel and rusting out your gas tank.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike