Fuel leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob Goblin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have been out of town for a few weeks and decided to fire up the 84 yesterday. I popped the hood and checked the oil. Then I went to the cab to fire it up. It took several pumps of the pedal and a few cranks, but the truck fired up. I sat in the cab for a few minutes before hopping out to do a walk around whilst the engine was running. As soon as I walked to the front of the car, I saw fuel shooting out from the passenger side up by the carb. I immediately shut of the truck and did an inspection. I believe it is coming from the fuel line by the filter. I took several pics but didn’t want to start it up because I was afraid it would catch fire. I plan on replacing the fuel line and filter and starting it again this weekend. Please look at the pics and tell me if you believe my assumption is correct. Also, there is a wire that is just lying on the intake spliced from the harness. Any idea as to what it is?

You must be registered for see images attach

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just a guess, but that is generally where an electric choke would be on a carb. So the wire could have been from a prior carb with an electric choke.

On the leak, hard to tell, but makes sense and a fuel line is easy to replace. May want to look for a steel replacement for peace of mind .

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I would personally ditch that glass fuel filter. I've seen too many of them leak and enough of them being a source of an engine fire. Either an all metal casing or one that threads into the carb inlet would be my choice. Or a clear plastic one works well too.

Something like this

or this

Also I would try to steel line as much as possible as opposed to rubber. That's just me though.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I agree with dmack. Test it for 12v with key on.

The leak is probably split rubber line. That amount of rubber line isn’t too bad. If anything, replace it with ethanol resistant stuff and a new filter. Don’t overtighten the hose clamps. It’ll make the rubber split sooner.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
I would switch to a metal fuel filter, if the glass one cracks you can end up with a fire. Best guess on the wire is a hot wire for the electric choke. And if your running a pcv valve on the other valve cover then your sucking dirt through the engine because your missing the filter on this valve cover

Rob Goblin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
And if your running a pcv valve on the other valve cover then your sucking dirt through the engine because your missing the filter on this valve cover

No pcv at all. Those valve covers are circle track valve covers. I didn’t put them on. The truck came that way when I got it last month. I’ve already picked up a different set of valve covers and plan to replace soon.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Those small glass filters come in three pieces so that you can screw different size fuel fittings on the end - and they are cheaply made junk. They leak where the fittings screw in because its hard to get the plastic fitting screwed in tight enough without deforming it.

Just go to the parts store and look for a metal filter with 3/8" fittings in the area where they sell fuel filters and parts. GM never installed a filter in that line (the filter is in the Quadrajet fitting), so the parts guy may not find a specific replacement, but generic 3/8" will work fine.

Bruce

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Ditch the glass filter it's crap. I had one and the threads of the 3 part design were stripped and leaked. I'm glad I recognized the leak before the engine/headers got hot. I only use metal or plastic filters since then.

Rob Goblin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It was the filter/line. Replaced both and everything seems to be fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54