fuel in evap canister

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayrider75

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi, in need of some suggestions , I just failed on my smog test , I had asked about a hose that was cracking at the canister,he said he'd throw one o n ,After the failure I noticed it was wet ,then realized it was gas witch was also inside the canister, So I've been doing research and the most common way for this to happen is to over fill the gas tank,which unfortunately often did, so after flipping the canister upside down and drained the canister,I reinstall ed drove about50 miles or so and gas inside, I've been pretty thorough with checking where the hoses belong, is it possible that all the overfilling has just left like gas sitting within the vent line from the tank to the canister...please help,my only transportation,thanks

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I would check the condition of all of the hoses and maybe disconnect them all and blow them out with air, one at a time or mark them somehow. Fuel in the canister is usually caused by over filling which you found out already.

I cant remember if you have to replace the canister if it gets gas in it or if you can dry it out or not

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If for some reason the gas cap you are using is not allowing pressure relief and causing the tank to pressurize it will push fuel down that line and into your canister.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
A couple of thoughts:

1. Another way that raw gas can be pulled into the evap canister is from the carburetor bowl vent. This shows the port and hose - as found on a standard Rochester Q-jet:

You must be registered for see images attach

2. To ascertain which is the source of gas being drawn into the canister (i.e. the fuel tank or the carburetor), try restricting the flow from each possible location. Just pinch off the hoses that connect to the associated sources - one at a time.

Use a pair of vise-grips to clamp the hose closed and drive around for a while. If the ingress of raw gas into the canister stops - you have identified the source.

If you have not been filling the fuel tank up to the top, it would point to the carburetor's float bowl as the source.

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
May not apply to CA, but here in AZ the way they "check" the evap system is to clamp off the return hose going to the fuel tank and pressure test the tank. It is completely useless as far as checking any actual function of the evap system, and when my '91 Caprice failed for "evap system" I spent almost a month and over $800 chasing my tail before I finally figured out what they were testing. Turned out to be a crack in the fuel filler neck rubber hose.

My point is, you should probably try to get a real good idea what they actually test before you assume that the fuel in the canister is what is causing you to fail.

Hope this helps.

-Josh

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.7 350
Im having the same issue. I Tracked it down to the tank line what is the fix

Latest posts