Fuel Gauge Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rubber Truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
So I found this out the hard way. So my fuel gauge works for my one tank and then when I switch it over to the other tank it says it's full but there is actually no gas in. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Brett77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
502 stroker
Always check the ground on the sending unit at the tank most common.

Rubber Truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
I put gas in the tank and it works fine it's just that the fuel gauge doesn't work .

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I put gas in the tank and it works fine it's just that the fuel gauge doesn't work .

Like the previous poster said, check the ground. There should be a blade connector on the sending unit that has a wire running from it to inside of the frame rail to a bolt. Check to make sure the blade is connected and that the wire runs all the way to the bolt on the inside of the frame, then check to make sure the connection at the bolt doesn't have any corrosion issues.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Like the previous poster said, check the ground. There should be a blade connector on the sending unit that has a wire running from it to inside of the frame rail to a bolt. Check to make sure the blade is connected and that the wire runs all the way to the bolt on the inside of the frame, then check to make sure the connection at the bolt doesn't have any corrosion issues.
But don’t you understand that his tank accepts fuel and that his truck runs!? What else is there? (Sarcasm) yes check the nice gentlemen’s suggestion. It’s that ground most often. Mine has a broke wire under the truck and I’m not even positive it was wired right anyway. To the switcher at least.