Fuel gauge- not a ground issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backwoods

Reaction score
First Name
Auston
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So after reading several other threads, and a couple other sites, I cannot figure out my issue. The fuel gauge pegs past full, leading me to believe its a ground issue. I cleaned the ground wire at both ends and the sender wire. Still nothing. I turned the multiemeter to ohms and it read 1.24 at both the chassis and the ground wire. But I have no idea what this means or what to do.
So what is yalls opinion, or what would you do?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I like to make sure my ground at the location (tank in instance) is good. Take a length of wire (6 ft or so of speaker wire is good) and attach it to a known good ground close to the battery. Go to the tank area and find your grounding point. Put on lead to the grounding point, and the other to the wire you just ran from the battery area. You should read close to zero ohms.

Make sure that 1.24 isn't 1.24K or 1.24 M ohms. The readings you get should be close to what you read when you touch your meter leads together.

A handy tool for this issue is that length of wire you made, with gator clips on the ends to you can easily clip on to connections and/or your meter leads.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If the 1.24 reading was from the sender wire to ground, the sender must be bad. Should read 0-90 depending on tank level.

Backwoods

Reaction score
First Name
Auston
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks y'all.
The reading I received was the same on the frame, ( I cleaned a new ground on the frame) and the ground wire. So they would suggest it grounded correctly, right?

Camar0, what would the 1.24k or 1.24m represent, and how would it effect my goal?

Bucket, that's what my guess was, but I wanted y'alls thoughts because I don't know a lot about it.

Backwoods

Reaction score
First Name
Auston
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Edit.

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
1.24K = 1240, 1.24M = 1240,000

1.24 - close to zero, this would be a very good reading
1.24k - not close to zero, could be a loose connection somewhere
1.24M - Far from zero, imagine the other end of the wire hanging by one strand

With testing using an ohm meter, the lower the better. Touch your leads together or even better take a standard light bulb (not led or fluorescent) and test it. It will be low ohms. It's a good quick way to test fuses as well.....just because it looks good through the glass doesn't always mean it's good.

Below is a good 5 minute video of how to use a meter. Verifying continuity (checking wires/connections) starts at 2:55. The video is only 5 minutes long, go ahead and watch it all while your at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3OyQ3HwfU

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Do you have dual tanks? if you do, I think the signal from each tank goes through the switch on the dash. My 86 only has one tank and the switch is bypassed I think.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If a gauge is pegged high, that only indicates one thing - for sure...that there is little or no current flow in its sensing leg. The sensing leg consists of 3 main parts:

1. The pink wire that runs from the instrument panel down to the brass pin on the sender:

You must be registered for see images attach

2. The variable resistance (that is what the sender really is).

3. The ground wire - connects the sender body to the frame/chassis:

Any number of things could cause a loss of continuity in the sensing leg:

1. A broken wire - in either the pink supply lead or the blue/black (depends on model
year) ground wire.

2. A loose/disconnected/oxidized terminal connection - at the ends of either of those
wires.

3. A broken/worn out part in the sender's variable resistance - or its intank connections.

Here are the first diagnostic tests you should do. When you are done with these two simple steps, you may not know the exact problem but you will know which of the following the issue is with:

1. The gauge/dash/sender hot wire group
2. The sender itself
3. The sender grounding connection

The first test is for voltage available to the sender. It is best done by removing the pink wire’s connector from the sender head. This can sometimes be done by reaching in between the cab and bed with a long screwdriver and prying it off.

If that won’t work, you can try working your hand up under the cab floor and reaching up to the sender. It is at the very front of the higher level of the tank – just before the tank top slopes down to the lower level:

If neither of those methods is possible, you can unbolt the front tank mount bracket and loosen the rear one. That should allow you to tilt the tank down in the front and gain access to the sender.

Or you could just use your meter probe to pierce the insulation - as near to the sender as possible.

Anyway, the actual tests are real easy.

1. With the ignition key in the RUN position, confirm that there is 12 VDC available at the terminal connector on the end of the pink wire.
2. Check for continuity in the grounding lead – from the crimped connection at the sender head to some convenient clean part of the frame.

If you get 12 VDC at the sender end of the pink lead...that means the power supply, the wire that runs to the sender, and the gauge mounting in the IP are all good. For reference, here are the fuel gauge connections at the PC board:

If you confirm continuity from end to end - on the blue/black lead that is crimped to the sender body and both ends are securely fastened…that is proof that the sender has a path to ground.

If the results of the two checks are as described above (i.e.12 VDC & continuity), the sender is faulty and will need to come out for replacement.

No voltage on the pink wire at the sender:

First, check the pink wire for voltage at the IP plug. If there is voltage there but not at the other end, the next step is to:

Check the pink wire for continuity - from where it exits the IP, all the way to the sender end. If you don’t get continuity, the next step is to:

Trace the length of the wire looking for breaks or melted areas. If the wire is found to be damaged, repair or replace as necessary.

No continuity in the sender grounding lead to the frame:

Check, clean and tighten the crimped connection at the sender head
Check, clean and tighten the bolted connection at the frame end.
If you still don’t see continuity, the wire is bad. Replace it.

Battery voltage available at sender and sender has a clear path to ground:

Sender is faulty – replace it. It is possible to revive a tired old sender, but you might not want to get involved in that procedure. It involves re-establishing tight contact between the wiper arm and the coils of the resistive element.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54