Fuel Gauge Calibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I was wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to calibrate the fuel gauge after replacing the needle? when truck is off, the gauge needle hangs at about 6 o'clock, just wondering if I should pull it off and rotate it to "E" when key is off, or is there a better way???

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I was wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to calibrate the fuel gauge after replacing the needle? when truck is off, the gauge needle hangs at about 6 o'clock, just wondering if I should pull it off and rotate it to "E" when key is off, or is there a better way???
peg the gauge with a battery source and then put the needle on where a pegged gauge would be

i dont recall where that would be tho, someone maybe has a gauge they could peg off a truck to help? mines doing a whole lotta nothing but its in my dash so i dont really want to remove that

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
peg the gauge with a battery source and then put the needle on where a pegged gauge would be

i dont recall where that would be tho, someone maybe has a gauge they could peg off a truck to help? mines doing a whole lotta nothing but its in my dash so i dont really want to remove that

Another option is to have the gauge wired as if its empty on the sender, so.. ground...? I cant remember how that works, but when the gauge is powered, with a "empty" reading, the needle should be before E slightly. When you hit E, the idea is to have a slight amount of gas, then when key off, it usually will stay near the spot, but drift a little back toward e, so it would go below e, i believe. on an older vehicle, that is. FUll would be slighlty past F most likely.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8