Fuel additives for 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLC2020

Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Just checking to see what if any fuel additives you guys are running in your diesel 6.2's? I always ran Power Service in my older Mercedes diesel I had and in my boat engines. I did add the Power Service Diesel Kleen stuff to my first tank in the truck, but not sure if there is anything better or additional that I should use. Any tips/tricks/suggestions would be welcomed for this motor and the truck in general if you have them since this is an all new to me truck and motor combo.

TYIA

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
In the HMMVW's that we ran in Iraq that would have the injector pumps vapor locking, we would add a cup of trans fluid to the fuel tank and that helped the longevity a lot. I think that had more to do with JP-8 not having the same lubrication additives as DF-2, so it's probably not necessary if you are using regular on-highway diesel #2. YMMV

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
This just came up again on a boating forum I belong to and I think I'm going to write up a couple of paragraphs on it so I can copy and paste it because it comes up over and over and over.

Yes, you should use an additive that has a lubricity improver, cetane enhancer and if it does anything with water it should demulsify, not emulsify. Demulsifying will cause the water to drop out of the fuel so your filters can get it. You don't want to run water through your injection system.

Fuel quality in the US has been marginal since the switch to ULSD. While most engine manufacturers will not admit that their engine's performance and longevity is compromised by using commonly available fuel, fuel injection manufacturers will tell you different, including the one that made your injection pump.

@Bextreme04 it's not vapor lock, although the symptoms are the same. It is as you suggest, a worn out head and rotor in the injection pump. What happens is when the fuel gets hot it's viscosity drops and it will bypass in the worn pumping assembly instead of being injected into the engine. A quality additive will help prolong the life of the injection system components.

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
I use a product called lubricity in both of my 6.2 trucks.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
I use Stanadyne in all my diesels, most injection rebuilders that I've dealt with even go so far as to say use it exclusive if you want them to ever honor a warranty. I will use Lucas in my on road trucks, but not in my offroad rigs.

jayg48anglia

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Years past we used Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel. In the older diesels like Mack, Cat, etc. I put 3-4 ounces to the tank (18 gallons) in my M1028A2. Can't hurt.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Stanadyne performance formula in My 2000 K3500. I also try to estimate the gallons it will take to fill the tank, then, dump in some two stroke oil. About an ounce to two gallons.
And, i dont give a crap what them tests say, I`ll continue adding the two stroke.
I buy the walmart brand TC-W3 online, it comes with free shipping to My door, three gallons at a time.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
I also use two stroke oil. One ounce for two gallons of fuel. It’s oil that is meant to be burnt so it should leave the least amount of deposits behind. Our old school fuel systems need the lubricant that used to be in the fuel from higher sulfur content. I run the two stroke oil in my 15 liter caterpillar. My 12 valve and my 6.2.

Ben.

RLC2020

Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
So basically, some sort of oil/lubricity additive is a must. I have a good amount of tcw3 hanging around so I'll start that on my next tank. I'll use up the 2 gallons of mystery oil that I have hanging around too. Thanks for the suggestions.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Despite all the suggestions & Answers. Watch this guy.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Practically the best on YT for these sort-of "Tests"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave