Front vs rear winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
This is true, can also be tore up rock crawling. I know of a guy who has his stored onboard. He can take it out and using receiver hitch type mount, slide it in the front or the rear as needed. It's not just one slide in though like a hitch. His is double. It was a great custom set up on a lifted F250 truck. It plugged in using 12V 50amp Anderson plug, which also doubles as a place where he can connect jumper cables to the front or the rear either to receive a jump or give a jump.
Was the 2nd receiver offset from center? If there's two receivers, which one do you use to pull a trailer?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
If you mount your winch on the front and REALLY bury it good luck getting to it! (Not fun in deep water). And having an attachment on the rear for a strap only helps if you have another truck with a winch behind you. Granted, most try to always go with a buddy but if you are on your own and the winch is on the front you might have to do some digging to get to it (not fun). Also, plan on how to have enough cable/straps/etc. to reach a solid anchor point.
With a rear mounted winch you'll probably be able to get to it and can either try a different route or try again another day.
I don't go off road anymore but in my younger days these things came up. Granted there were times in deep snow drifts where I admit a front mounted winch was the way to go. Trying to move a hitch mounted winch from the rear to the front in deep "muck" wouldn't be my idea of a real good time. Just my opinion.
YMMV.

Your receiver mount winch would need synthetic rope. There's 100 lbs less. And longer. Far superior to cable and I know how that sounds..
There is a BUT.. you have to care for the 'ropes' where cable gets put away wet. And you can't drag or skid your rope pull over ground (that's why they call it ground, because it can grind!) so you use a sleeve to protect the rope. Something else to take care of. Still worth it.

I think we end up using the rear receiver more than the front.. after some years of working and playing. Not so much to keep moving forward, but to pull out. (you know sometimes pulling out is less fun than putting in.. oh nevermind).

If ya got Ferds around you feel compelled to rescue, winch from the rear... yank. Go. Hang on Ferd.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, same type of plugs you posted about earlier. The gender neutral type.
Oh no, you had to bring gender into this. Here we go. The tards will be out in full force being offended.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400