Front Posi/Limited Slip Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kilian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
K
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 hopefully converting to K2500
Engine Size
What options are available for a limited slip carrier for either the Dana 44 or GM 10-bolt front axle? This would be for a 3/4 ton farm and road truck, not a rock climber. Anything from a rear axle application fit in a front axle?

Not wanting a locker, just something that would kick-in if a front wheel started to slip in mud or snow, which I think would be similar to a rear Eaton gov-lock.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
my old truck had a lock rite in the front, I would lock the passenger hub when i needed 4wd, and if it got bad, than I would lock in the driver side.

it was tough to steer when both sides were engaged.

I am planning on installing this same setup again in my new square body

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
I put a factory GM rear limited slip posi in the front axle of one of my previous trucks. All the factory carrier parts are the same on the 8.5" ten bolts.
It worked great, but just like a locker it was hard to steer on dry pavement.
I would only lock the hubs in when I was off pavement or when the white stuff was "hub deep".

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Eaton Truetrac is a great choice for a two wheel drive rear axle. This differential locks much better going forward than it will in reverse. Eaton does make a Truetrac made for the front axle as well, the spiral cut gears are set opposite from a normal rear dif. The GM Govern lock (made by Eaton) will work in the front or rear, but not super strong and would fail with big mud tires.

A better choice for a front axle would be a Eaton ELocker, lock when needed, or leave it open. Naturally this is a higher cost item. Here is a link:

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/prod...action-control/aftermarket-differentials.html

Kilian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
K
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 hopefully converting to K2500
Engine Size
What years of 10 bolt rear posi carriers will fit in a 10 bolt front axle? How common is it to find 4.10 ratio in a 10 bolt posi rear?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I’ve always seen the recommendation that if want a front axle locker and drive it on the street, it must be remotely switchable for lock/unlock to prevent binding. AFAIK there are several air lockers that should work in a Dana 44 or corporate front axle.

Bruce

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I’ve always seen the recommendation that if want a front axle locker and drive it on the street, it must be remotely switchable for lock/unlock to prevent binding. AFAIK there are several air lockers that should work in a Dana 44 or corporate front axle.

Bruce

After reading this article, and viewing the videos, I now know the ELocker requires a wheel to make a 1/4 turn to lock when switching forward to reverse.

@Kilian

Lots of info here, well worth the time to read and watch the videos:

https://www.theengineblock.com/debate-air-lockers-or-e-lockers/

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
They never put a 410 ratio in a rear axle 10 bolt. You can find them in a frt carrier of a 3/4 ton TK. Only difference with carrier is spline count. 87 and older have 28 spline for axle. 88 and newer have 30 spline axles.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've had both a D44 with a Detroit Tru-trac and a D60 with a Detroit Locker in the front of my old K5. The rear was a 14bolt FF with a Detroit Locker. Front hubs were equipped with Warn and never locked on dry, solid ground. Axle ratios were 4.09/4.10.

With the Tru-Trac up front it was easy to drive, predictable, and reliable. I used it on ice, snow, mud, trails, etc and it worked very well on all. I definitely wouldn't do a full locker on the front on anything but a true off road rig. The Detroit up front was great on rocks and trails but was scary on ice and would only go straight in the mud.

When I built the truck, only Detroit Lockers were available for the 14bolt. If, a big if, I built a truck again, I'd do ARB but that would probably double in cost over the Detroits and add very little in performance.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Eaton Truetrac is what I have in the front D44 on my truck. You don't even know it's there compared to an open differential. Perfectly quiet, lets me steer on snow/mud/ice. But transfers power over to the other tire when needed. Its been awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL