Front end rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD1973

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy 1/2 stepside
Engine Size
Does anyone know of a complete front end kit for a 1973 C10 4X4,
my front end is very loose.
Also how much difference does a duel stabilizer make?

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
First thing I would check especially If you have big tires on your rig is the frame around the steering box. Both 73's I have owned cracked. There are plates and kits to fix the problem. Check Off Road design.

here's an example of my frame,

You must be registered for see images attach

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
First thing I would check especially If you have big tires on your rig is the frame around the steering box. Both 73's I have owned cracked. There are plates and kits to fix the problem. Check Off Road design.

here's an example of my frame,

You must be registered for see images attach

X2 (same on my '73)

ORD has a great kit.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I'm not aware of a complete front end rebuild kit. I just went to Rock Auto and ordered all the wear items for my K25 front end (shocks, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, rag joint, steering stabilizer, stabilizer bar bushings, etc.). Rock Auto was cheaper than any local source, and since I ordered it all at once the shipping was not too bad.

I can get all the parts locally, but they are usually more expensive. Rock Auto usually has good prices, but shipping will kill the good price if you submit multiple orders. Sometimes I look up parts on Rock Auto and then check to see what I can get on Amazon Prime with free shipping. Its surprising how many vendors make parts available on Amazon.

A dual stabilizer is unlikely to make any significant difference for street driving. Its designed more for off road where rocks or dirts are bouncing the steering back and forth.

Also make sure you check for frame cracks (as above), and look through the procedure to adjust the free play in your steering box. Doing a proper adjustment of steering box free play is relatively easy when you already have the tie rods disconnected to do other work.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara