Front Driveshaft spline slop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Possibly stupid question... I developed a noise coming from the front end ('87 3/4T Burban, ~stock with 100k miles) that I isolated to only when hubs are locked, and then further to the front driveshaft, specifically the splined slip joint. The driveshaft has probably 1/8"-1/4" 'wiggle' to it when you press from the side at that joint. It doesn't seem to have much rotational slop, and the U joints seem to be fine in every direction, but basically every revolution of the driveshaft it flops around and makes a 'womp womp womp' sound. I temporarily packed some stuff in there to hold it in place and the noise went away, so I feel confident that is the source.

I know it is dry, seems like nothing has been lubed on the underside of the truck in many years, including the driveshaft. Is it possible that pumping some grease in there will center things back up, or is the damage done? If damage is done, is there any way to rebuild that joint, or am I essentially looking at a complete new driveshaft?
Thanks in advance.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Huh... Maybe I need to look at some pictures and look at mine closer, but I don't think that part is on mine at all... Might do the trick. You have to pull the shaft apart to put it on there, I take it?

Thanks.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Huh... Maybe I need to look at some pictures and look at mine closer, but I don't think that part is on mine at all... Might do the trick. You have to pull the shaft apart to put it on there, I take it?

Thanks.

It's the cap that on the axle yoke end of your driveshaft.

Pull it off the other half shaft end, the cap pictured in the Amazon link comes off.

That'd be a good time to inspect your splines and see if they're twisted, rolled, or stripped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400