Front brake hoses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I decided to replace the hoses on the front because my daughter will be driving the truck and I want to make sure she can stop and the hoses are 38 years old (as far as I know).
When I went to look it wants to know which size REAR brakes (11" or 11-5/32") the truck has before I can pick the front hoses. I thought this odd but remembered that there are 2 different front brakes, which would make more send. I have the 1" thick rotors, does this correspond to a certain rear brake? I would think the 11" but I know how engineers can be.

Thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I decided to replace the hoses on the front because my daughter will be driving the truck and I want to make sure she can stop and the hoses are 38 years old (as far as I know).
When I went to look it wants to know which size REAR brakes (11" or 11-5/32") the truck has before I can pick the front hoses. I thought this odd but remembered that there are 2 different front brakes, which would make more send. I have the 1" thick rotors, does this correspond to a certain rear brake? I would think the 11" but I know how engineers can be.

Thanks!

Only the JB 1&3 systems have 1" rotors in the front and both of those systems use 11" drums for the rears:

You must be registered for see images attach

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
I have replaced front flex hoses on a 72 and a 74 and rear brakes sizes were not a factor in purchasing the hoses for the front. Front disk brakes/drums may be a factor but I don't see what the rear has anything to do with the front.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
chengny, you have way too much knowledge of these trucks! But I sure am glad you do!!

Thanks!!!

Charlie, you would think a hose is a hose when they're for the same year truck but when you look them up they have different part numbers. Guess I'd have to see them side by side to know the diffrence.

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
chengny, you have way too much knowledge of these trucks! But I sure am glad you do!!

Thanks!!!

Charlie, you would think a hose is a hose when they're for the same year truck but when you look them up they have different part numbers. Guess I'd have to see them side by side to know the diffrence.

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
All I'm saying, is, I when I purchased them from Oreilly for both trucks is I do not remember the rear brakes sizes being a factor for the front flex hoses. All of them fit correctly. Unless the 80's models are different than the 70's. Then if so, my bad.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Only the JB 1&3 systems have 1" rotors in the front and both of those systems use 11" drums for the rears:

Where is that Diagram from, And is it for 1/2 ton trucks?
I love that it mentions Diesel Equipped like mine.

Nvm I seen on the picture filename ;)

Ronno6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
IN THEORY,11X2 Rear brakes , JB3, would have front rotors 1" thick.

My 84 C10 was not this way, and it gave me fits.....
It had JB3 rears and JB5 fronts (!-1/8" thick rotors) and JB5 booster.

Best to measure the front rotor thickness to determine brake hoses....

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Never mind. I decided to read a little (only took a couple of short articles) to find that it would work but since the rest of the system really needs DOT3 and since DOT4 absorbs water quicker which in turn lowers the boiling point I now find the below questions mute and totally unnecessary..

Question about brake fluid...

Since I am replacing all rubber lines and the entire system will be open, would there be an issue with changing from DOT3 to DOT4 fluid? Would any of the components not be compatible?

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
IIRC, there is something about DOT 6 working in DOT 3 but not recommended because it would cause issues with ABS and traction modules in newer vehicles. However, I dont know that so you should definitely not try it without further research.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
I've bot custom made stainless hoses made by a fellow in Holland Michigan. He offers black plastic sheathing that more resembles original black rubber.

And the aftermarket hoses are made in Mexico at best, and mostly China at worst. And I've notice the rapid deterioration of Chinese rubber products.

I've bot hoses from this fellow in the past, and his customer service is second to none. And I was getting hoses for an obscure 1977 Chevy C60 dump truck that didn't even show up in listings at the time

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hugger-4641