Front and Rear Window Regulators the Same?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustCollector

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500 4x4
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
All 4 of my power windows are toast on my '88 suburban. I'm looking for new regulators and motors but I can only seem to find front regulators. Are the front and rear different? I only want them to pull them out once, I hate these doors. So I figured I'd find out from the experts :D

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They are different.

Usually, a good cleaning, lubing and window motor is all it takes to get them working like new again.

RustCollector

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500 4x4
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'll be paying for this for a while, but I caved and pulled the drivers rear. Aside from being dirty as hell, it looks new. The rollers are a nice, white, supple plastic. They also don't roll for $#!+. I greased 'em as best I could but they're just too damn tight on the ball.

So I threw some moly grease in the tracks and on the teeth and put it back in. Absolutely no difference. Goes about 4 or 5 inches down slow as molasses, then just stops moving and makes a machine gunning sound. Same thing all 4 are doing... with the exception of the drivers front that won't budge at all. Motor engages, window jiggles about 1/8", then nothing.

Lots of cuss words on my mind.

So what can I do to replace these rollers with something that will effing work?

I'm thinking the gears in the motor(s) are shot even though the exterior gear is pristine. So 4 new motors and rollers that roll would probably solve this.

Suggestions?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The rollers don't ever do a whole lot of rolling. They also don't care for a thick lube. Penetrating oil works best from what I've found. The motors get weak and fail internally. There could also be a fair amount of voltage drop in the system for various reasons. Using the switches to trigger relays will help the windows work even better than new because the window motors will get full voltage from a relay. I've never went to that trouble though, the as-new condition is good enough for me. @gmachinz makes and sells a complete harness and relay kit, I believe for a 4-door too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg