1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Free" Truck

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by Speakfordadead, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Speakfordadead

Speakfordadead Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jeanne
    Truck Year:
    1975 1978 1980
    Truck Model:
    C20's Camper Spc/Sub
    Engine Size:
    350 Targetmaster/454
    Since I haven't posted in ages, I thought I would put up some pics and progress notes on my 1980 C20 Survivor I call "The Shop Truck".
    I got this truck from a very close friend who bought a piece of property and wanted me to "get rid of it". I said I would look at it.
    I removed the carbuncle camper from the back, tore it apart and junked it. Put the jump box on the battery and poured a cup full of fuel down the carb and boom!!!! It fired and ran... Drove it on the trailer and hauled to t the shop. I was giddy with excitement....

Attached Files:

2. Speakfordadead

First Name:
    Jeanne
    Truck Year:
    1975 1978 1980
    Truck Model:
    C20's Camper Spc/Sub
    Engine Size:
    350 Targetmaster/454
    "Free"

We all know that when people tell you "It ran when I parked it" they parked it for a reason. Things glaringly obvious.... Broken driver side wing window... Screaming clutch... Large rat like creatures using the interior as a nest..... GAG
    I gutted the interior, new carpet new seat and am currently in the process of gutting the dash finally after correcting a host of other issues to be discussed later.
    Question: does the rat always win? Will I ever change that scent? Or will I always start my day emptying a can of Ozium in the cab???

3. Speakfordadead

First Name:
    Jeanne
    Truck Year:
    1975 1978 1980
    Truck Model:
    C20's Camper Spc/Sub
    Engine Size:
    350 Targetmaster/454
    Make it whoa before you make it go

My Pops always said brakes then everything else. The truck showed that it had about 55k miles. It was probably due for brakes anyway...
    Ya....like that

Rotors turned, drums replaced, new pads and shoes, new bearings front and rear, new Diff gasket, fresh gear oil, new u-joints, new carrier bearing, new pinion and slip yoke seals and new seal for the output shaft. Whew!!!!
    Really a very clean truck, for sure the 50k was legit... U-joints were OEM... I doubt anything has been touched. It sat for at least 10 years....

4. crazy4offroad

crazy4offroad Service Bullshit Filter Soon

First Name:
    Curt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    One-Ton K-10
    Engine Size:
    350/TH350/NP205
    Sounds like you got a peach for the most part. Keep after the mechanical and the rest will follow along. The smell could be into the rug/mat if there is one so I would start there and take it out, then use something strong like Grease Lightning to scrub the floor with, just not bleach which will promote more rust. Keep up the good work! :cheers:

5. Speakfordadead

First Name:
    Jeanne
    Truck Year:
    1975 1978 1980
    Truck Model:
    C20's Camper Spc/Sub
    Engine Size:
    350 Targetmaster/454
    Test drive

Waiting for clear title to the truck took some time. The previous owner didn't want to release title after he had abandoned the truck. We find out at that time that the truck was "not drivable" for over 15 years. Odometer statement was verified. The guy bought the truck in my home state of WA and took a job in CA.
    Finally got the title and plates, insurance and registration in the glove box, time for a road test....
    Out the driveway, two quick right hand turns then down a steep hill, 2nd, 3rd, begin to head up the hill and BANG!!! Tranny pops out of third, quickly losing speed, drop into second and scream the engine to the top.
    Crap.... Time to pull the monster SM 465.... I'm gonna need some help!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  6. Speakfordadead

First Name:
    Jeanne
    Truck Year:
    1975 1978 1980
    Truck Model:
    C20's Camper Spc/Sub
    Engine Size:
    350 Targetmaster/454
    Trans and clutch

Back on the rack, up in the air, Husband rescues the damsel from having to pull it alone. Thank God for that man, he is a saint!
    Tranny out, cover off, third gear has two broken teeth and the synchro is a little chewed. Replacement parts are gonna run several hundred dollars. Dang. But I remember giving an SM 465 to a buddy of mine for a rat rod he was building. Call him up and he hadn't done anything with it yet so he agreed to swap it for a much lighter SM 425. DEAL!!!

7. Speakfordadead

First Name:
    Jeanne
    Truck Year:
    1975 1978 1980
    Truck Model:
    C20's Camper Spc/Sub
    Engine Size:
    350 Targetmaster/454
    Thanks!!! The carpet and the seat were the first things to go... The pad was so disgusting... I'm in the process now of pulling the vents and plan on soaking them to get rid of the urine... I expect the rat is living near the vent door.

8. Speakfordadead

First Name:
    Jeanne
    Truck Year:
    1975 1978 1980
    Truck Model:
    C20's Camper Spc/Sub
    Engine Size:
    350 Targetmaster/454
    Gear swap

Did I mention that the donor tranny had been sitting outside for several years??? It's no easy task to pull apart a rusty Muncie. A few swear words and some vigorous wire brushing and the gear and synchro were free. Broomstick disassembly of the trans, hot tank the case, jet clean the parts, nice quick soak in a little motor oil and reassembly went flawless. New seals, new gaskets and o-rings.
    New 12 inch clutch, new clutch fork and TO bearing. We're cooking with gas now....

9. Speakfordadead

First Name:
    Jeanne
    Truck Year:
    1975 1978 1980
    Truck Model:
    C20's Camper Spc/Sub
    Engine Size:
    350 Targetmaster/454
    Tune-up, Fluid Change LOF

Runs good!! Fresh HEI cap, wires, rotor and module. Air cleaner, oil filter, belts and nice Lithium grease. Soft, supple and sexy. Last tackle was the exhaust. Some serious debate. The motor had been replaced. Targetmaster, GM350, 325 HP, and the owner had replaced the OEM carb with an Edelpuke. (I'm a Holley girl). So, in my old age, I have grown a dislike for loud obnoxious exhaust. (Except for my Heritage) I chose an X pipe and a two into one flow master with the exit it the right side. Sounds great!!!

10. Speakfordadead

First Name:
    Jeanne
    Truck Year:
    1975 1978 1980
    Truck Model:
    C20's Camper Spc/Sub
    Engine Size:
    350 Targetmaster/454
    Electrical nightmare...

So, thankful that this forum exists, many experienced squarebody owners donating oodles of knowledge helped me solve this one.
    Turn signal fuse blows every time I push on the brake pedal while the blinkers are on. Really???
    One wise gentleman reported that the backup light switch could be the culprit. Embarrassed, I remember taking the switch out and going down to the local parts house for a replacement. The only ones they can get are the module type, this is a spade type. Crap! Put the switch back in and think, so what, the back up lights might not work. Wouldn't be the first time I rode the brakes to red light the area behind me.
    Unplug the back-up light switch and viola!!!! Drove that baby all over the place no popped fuses!!!!

11. Speakfordadead

First Name:
    Jeanne
    Truck Year:
    1975 1978 1980
    Truck Model:
    C20's Camper Spc/Sub
    Engine Size:
    350 Targetmaster/454
    Happy

I've made the truck a drive able member of society.... Now to make it better looking than it already is ...

Attached Files:

12. Speakfordadead

First Name:
    Jeanne
    Truck Year:
    1975 1978 1980
    Truck Model:
    C20's Camper Spc/Sub
    Engine Size:
    350 Targetmaster/454
    How much does a "Free" truck cost?

Anybody want to hazard a guess at the cost of resuscitation????

13. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    Sounds like a lot of parts that might add up to $

You know, loud exhaust is a safety feature. Like deer whistles.

14. Georgeb

Georgeb Full Access Member

First Name:
    George
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Burb Z71
    Engine Size:
    Nice free truck! You may also check the firewall pad for rat piss as well sa down in the cab corners.

15. Speakfordadead

First Name:
    Jeanne
    Truck Year:
    1975 1978 1980
    Truck Model:
    C20's Camper Spc/Sub
    Engine Size:
    350 Targetmaster/454
    Like I said... Except for my Heritage

:)