Frame swapping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evan

Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hello I have a 1986 Chevy k10 at the moment the frame is in ok shape it’s a short box but I’ve always had more of a desire towards a long box. I have found a 1977 gmc k10 frame close to me that’s been gone through just wondering if there’s any fittment issues I might need to know about or if there the same frames besides length thank you.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
About the biggest difference is the front frame horns where the bumper mounts. But you can simply trim off the excess and drill holes to mount your '86 bumper brackets. The core support mounts are in a slightly different location, but you can either slot the mount holes or just change the brackets for your originals.

You also would need to use '77 cab mount rubbers, not the 86's.

Evan

Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
What about the rear cross member for the cab mount mine has a crossmember all the way across and the 77 has 2 separate mounts

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Just throwing this out there, but the short beds are much rarer and more desirable. I'd hate to see you hack up a short bed just because you like the longbeds. You should be able to just sell your shortbed and buy a much nicer longbed for the same price, at least in my neck of the woods.

Also, DO NOT cut the front of the frame off to fit the 80's bumper to a 70's frame. You don't need to. All you need to do is cut part of the bumper mounting bracket off and slightly elongate the top hole on the frame horns.

Evan

Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I will not be cutting up the short bed or frame that will all stay in tact and will sell that to somone who can use it eventually

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I will not be cutting up the short bed or frame that will all stay in tact and will sell that to somone who can use it eventually
What he's saying is the entire truck, as an original shortbed, is more valuable. I agree.
I also agree that apples to apples, you could get a better condition long bed for the same price. Not to mention the time and cost of a frame swap. And finding a clean long box.
Being in the rust belt, I'd sell your's for all it's worth and take a little trip to get a rust free long bed from somewhere less salty!
If there's sentimental attachment to the truck, is it really the same truck after you swap frames, beds and re-paint it?
Sorry this didn't answer your original question, but figured its worth saying.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
What he's saying is the entire truck, as an original shortbed, is more valuable. I agree.
I also agree that apples to apples, you could get a better condition long bed for the same price. Not to mention the time and cost of a frame swap. And finding a clean long box.
Being in the rust belt, I'd sell your's for all it's worth and take a little trip to get a rust free long bed from somewhere less salty!
If there's sentimental attachment to the truck, is it really the same truck after you swap frames, beds and re-paint it?
Sorry this didn't answer your original question, but figured its worth saying.
Yep, that's exactly what I meant!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Bextreme04,
What is it @Evan wants to do? He has a short bed 4x4 but wants a long bed 4x4? @Evan, what is it you want to do with it? Do you have a bunch of stuff you are hauling you can't haul with your short bed? I'd love to have a short bed. There is a ton more performance stuff for short beds that aren't available for long beds. Let alone all the off road stuff available for short beds. I mean, sure by all means get what you have wanted for a long time. I was just wondering. I like to try to understand people's intensions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84