Frame repair at steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Has anyone out there fabbed their own frame repair plates for where the frame cracks at the steering box? I see ORD and a few others make kits but wondered if they are worth the cost.

Also, how thick are the plates they sell

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I believe the weld in ones are better. But I've never needed to do that repair.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You’ll have to be good at forming the metal, the frame isn’t flat under the box so the kits have raised areas to match

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've never seen a cracked frame at the gear box. Do you think it's caused by turning the wheels while stationary or forcing the stops?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
@Memaloose framing cracking at the steering box is extremely common on square body 4wds. I think the biggest contributor is the drag link in the push pull steering, it’s so short that there’s no leverage so all of the steering force is focused on the box and frame.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Interesting. Next time I'm greasing my truck, I'll study on it.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The ORD units are worth every penny!

I received no compensation for this plug.
Thanks for the input, I ended up ordering the Rough county kit on Amazon. The little savings on the part and free shipping was a $45 difference from the ORD in the end.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Yes this is common! There is another thread about changing leaf springs that probably has the same problem. This is the 2nd truck I have fix'ed. If you are planning on using non stock wheels and tires and a lift I would also look and the other frame support that ORD sells. and Like @Snoots I only buy their stuff and they don't support me in anyway.
You must be registered for see images attach

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yes this is common! There is another thread about changing leaf springs that probably has the same problem. This is the 2nd truck I have fix'ed. If you are planning on using non stock wheels and tires and a lift I would also look and the other frame support that ORD sells. and Like @Snoots I only buy their stuff and they don't support me in anyway.
Good work... I will consider the ORD brace. This build is just now getting to the extremely expensive portion and I'm trying to reserve every dollar I can.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Good work... I will consider the ORD brace. This build is just now getting to the extremely expensive portion and I'm trying to reserve every dollar I can.
This is something you need to take care of right now, while it's easy to do these repairs to the frame. Also inspect the rear frame, the shock mount points is a common place to be cracked and bent.

It's quite alarming when you gently steer in one direction, but your truck suddenly would rather go the other. It was like walking a big dog, that REALLY wanted to to check out that telephone pole over there.....

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's also advisable to drill out the rivets in the crossmember that loosen over time and replace with Grade 8 hardware, as well as ensure that bumper and associated brackets are kept tight.

With the 2wd trucks, cracking is still very common. Ridetech makes a brace that triangulates the entire area and ties into the front steering box bolts. The ORD, autopower, etc ties to the rear bolts.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I am curious about the logic of partial welds instead of completely welding it in place. What is the advantage of not at least welding the top edge to keep water from causing rust between the new repair, seems like self sabotage.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've never seen a cracked frame at the gear box. Do you think it's caused by turning the wheels while stationary or forcing the stops?

@Memaloose framing cracking at the steering box is extremely common on square body 4wds. I think the biggest contributor is the drag link in the push pull steering, it’s so short that there’s no leverage so all of the steering force is focused on the box and frame.
At work we seem to have an almost continual supply of square bodies seems. There is almost always one here for one reason or another. I have heard cracking at the steering is extremely common on the 4wds but for some reason I've never see it in person. For what it's worth. Most of the squares we see here are stock or near stock and I would describe them as being in work truck to daily driver condition with a few being very, very nice trucks, but I can't think of any that are lifted or anything like that. So to me when you think about the Saginaw power steering pumps think about how easy the steering is to turn in the truck and how much pressure that in turn must put on the gear box and frame, I can for sure see how it could happen, but also larger tires, running it off road, pushing the tire against an immovable object like a curb and yanking the wheel in that direction, I'm sure that would make it all the more likely to occur. That's my two cents anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg