Frame cracked.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john ward

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
77-83 and inbetween
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hi anyone had problem with frame cracking and breaking up around the front shock mounting bolt,was thinking about large thick washer welded in, any recommendations would help, did notice bolt was loos when i took of mabe why cracked.
You must be registered for see images attach

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
From the looks of this, my guess is your truck is lowered and the stock shock has been bottoming out and transferring all that force to this bolt. Either that or your shock was too long and the same thing is happening when you hit a big bump.

You can probably repair that by getting it flat again there and sticking in a big washer but don't take my word for it, I am just making a guess and have no experience in frame repairs.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
As cracked as that is at this point I would just grind and cut it out and weld in a flat piece that has a higher shock mounting point. Like TravisB mentioned, this is probably a result of your shock being too long and bottoming out so doing this would allow you to move the shock mount up some to accommodate the shock length and technically, if you already have your welding gear and some scrap metal that is probably going to be cheaper than replacing the shocks, and you can easily carry it over to the other side.

john ward

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
77-83 and inbetween
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok thanks guys i was thinking weld a plate and drill new hole but it sits at a angle on original frame, like punched into a dome sticking out with hole in, the truck has been lowered now but found this as putting new shocks on, was standard when this happened i was thinking a big thick washer and try and shape dome and weld in, it looked like the shock mount has been loose and banging about may have caused cracking ?

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
You could but cutting that hump out and just putting a plate with some triangulated tabs out a little further is going to amount to the same thing, just take far less time from a fabrication standpoint and with a little gusseting it will be far stronger than the original setup.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
First and for most before you weld anything over it take a 1/16” drill bit and drill a hole at the end of each crack. If you don’t it will continue to crack even with **** welded over it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd weld in a big fender washer on each side, then reinstall the shock.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Be sure while you are at it use eye protection and hearing protection. And don't forget the safety shoes, hand protection and flame retardant clothing too. :p

Sorry HK, I could not resist You are correct though and it is worth making sure it is done right for someone who is not familiar with it, lol :roflbow:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
After the holes are drilled and the cracks terminated

Yes, and weld the cracks too.

I often forget to mention the basics. Some things are just built in now, lol.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
How strange
I just seen one like this locally too

john ward

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
77-83 and inbetween
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks all, i would have cut a 6x6 piece out of another frame and welded in but no chance finding one over hear in uk.

morrow07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
1977 - 1989
Truck Model
Cheyenne - V2500
Engine Size
406 - 350
I was concerned about that, and installed these relocators. A few different companies produce them, and they are inexpensive. I think I paid about $40. It slightly improves the angle of the shock as well.

Not mine, just a stock photo.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I was concerned about that, and installed these relocators. A few different companies produce them, and they are inexpensive. I think I paid about $40. It slightly improves the angle of the shock as well.

Not mine, just a stock photo.
Thanks for posting an image of what I was shooting for. I think a picture translates better than my description. I was planning on doing that with mine for the front and rear as well. On the K5's the rear is usually so quick to tear out of the frame. I think in my case though I was planning on putting them on the lower rail and hopefully running a stock height shock.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey