Frame concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pbritchie

Reaction score
First Name
Presley
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So in Afghanistan I read that these trucks have a problem of the frame cracking where the steering box is...Have any of you had this problem? Im worried that Mine may be now cause of the lift and bigger tires...either way I guess ill just have to block it out, but id rather not have to do that.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
several companies make kits to reinforce the frame around the steering box, and yes they are known to crack

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
They can crack with stock tires too. The frame flexes way too much for the steering with bigger tires and it can cause the truck to wander, it can make the steering box come loose from the frame and maybe cause the steering box to fall off if it's bad enough.

There is a frame patch kit that a lot of companies sell for around $80 or so. It consists of 2, 1/8" steel plates that go on the front and back of the frame right where the steering box goes. To install it, you need to take off the steering box and stitch weld the patches in place on either side. Then you can re-install the steering box and call it good.

There's also a kit that Off Road Design sells that ties into the frame behind the steering box and goes up to the front cross member. It just triangulates the frame to the cross member. It's around $140 IIRC.

Last edited:

pbritchie

Reaction score
First Name
Presley
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Alright sounds good to me thanks guys

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
Yes they crack regularly check out off road designs frame repair and brace kit its not too outta the ball park as far as funds go and should solve your problems.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
I have the ORD brace. After i knocked my steering box off plowing i got one and put it on. Hardest part is the steering box, its damn heavy.

Chris

pbritchie

Reaction score
First Name
Presley
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Lol Ill have to remember that when Im putting the 2wd box in for the crossover. So after I tac that ord bracket in I should be good right?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yep, and I can vouch for the heavy ass steering box. Get someone to help with that bastage, don't be a hard head like I was.

pbritchie

Reaction score
First Name
Presley
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yea I got a buddy that is pretty mechanically inclined and is willing to accept beer as payment. About 10 more days till Ill be home working on this thing, anxiousness is an understatement.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have ran the frame kits before and still cracked thr welds on them , so now I box the frame at the steering box and have sleeves on all the bolts , (between the box ) No problems , even if you beat your truck with 40" tires , way better than the kits , (IMO)

:grd::grd:

Ask wagonman on this site , Jim foley did my first frame repair and it is going strong still today (18yrs later with a ton of beatings on it)

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looks like all that needs to be said has been said. I have not had the problem, and I am not even going to say yet. I do intend to add a support kit to prevent it and hope it works. If not, I know there are people out there that make the repair like hirsch said, and make it better than new.
Point is, yes what you read is correct, but not anything worth panicing about.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
i'm a firm believer in putting the profits in the hands of the guys that actually do the work, in this case, AutoFab. ORD does very little of their own fabrication, but they're very good at putting their sticker on someone else's handywork.

http://www.autofab.com/sbgk 100.htm

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
i'm a firm believer in putting the profits in the hands of the guys that actually do the work, in this case, AutoFab. ORD does very little of their own fabrication, but they're very good at putting their sticker on someone else's handywork.

http://www.autofab.com/sbgk 100.htm

Nice, I didn't know that. But their website sucks. I thought ORD's site was bad. :whymewhyme: :rofl:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Nice, I didn't know that. But their website sucks. I thought ORD's site was bad. :whymewhyme: :rofl:

yeah, their site sucks, but ORD has done a bait and switch on me a couple times (to the tune of $80+ on a pair of springs one time), so i try to advise people to steer clear of them. their reasoning for not being able to honor their website advertised price was "we're too big to worry about updating the prices on our website."... if you can't keep it updated take it off the website! and if you can't keep it updated so your sales reps know what the price is, STOP SELLING IT ALTOGETHER!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yeah, their site sucks, but ORD has done a bait and switch on me a couple times (to the tune of $80+ on a pair of springs one time), so i try to advise people to steer clear of them. their reasoning for not being able to honor their website advertised price was "we're too big to worry about updating the prices on our website."... if you can't keep it updated take it off the website! and if you can't keep it updated so your sales reps know what the price is, STOP SELLING IT ALTOGETHER!

Thanks for the heads up on that ordeal. I damn sure won't do business do with asses like that. If they are that damn big, then they can afford a full time webmaster to work their site 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. Especially considering the amount of sales their site could potentially make to not only pay his wages but made a good profit. :flipthebird: ORD. Good enough for me, they won't get any of my money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg