FNG saying hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vintage Musclecar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado 3500
Engine Size
New guy from SW Ohio (near Dayton) saying hi.

Please pardon the seemingly unfitting user name, it's the screen name I go by on all of the car forums I participate on. (I restore parts for classic musclecars for a living, hence the screen name)

I've owned a couple of square bodies over the years, and I've been looking for quite some time for another one, but never could find quite the right deal until earlier this month when I picked up a 1990 3500 3+3 long bed Dually with a 454 and a 400 Turbo (rear gearing unknown at the time).

It had been stored in a barn since roughly 2014, and since that time the avian inhabitants of said barn contributed heavily towards the truck's...shall we say..."patina".

The truck wasn't a runner when I bought it, so I got a reasonably good deal on it. The odometer is rolled over so I'm not 100% certain on the actual mileage, but judging by the overall mechanical condition of the truck I believe it's only got a tick over 110K on it.

I had the truck dropped off at a repair shop after I bought it for them to go over it and figure out what it needed to get it running (time is the issue for me, not mechanical abilities). So far its taken a fresh battery (obviously), a fair amount of underhood wiring repairs thanks to rodents chewing them up, and a new distributor--but they got it running last week. The fuel system is completely toast, so it's getting new tanks and sending units, plus an external electric fuel pump. The truck won't be TBI for long, so installing new in-tank pumps was moot as they wouldn't be capable of supplying sufficient fuel for what's to come. ;)

Since the TBI runs on roughly 12 PSI, I'm using a Holley Blue electric pump which puts out 12-14 PSI unregulated which *should* work with the TBI for now. When the truck is converted to carbureted, it's a simple matter of installing a fuel pressure regulator to work with the carb.

If anyone's interested in the project, I'll start a build thread in the appropriate forum.

Thanks for allowing me on board. :happy107:

Eric

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Holy crap that's a lot of bird crap :)))

Is the first picture before it was stored I assume since the paint looks in better shape?

Welcome to the forums!

Vintage Musclecar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado 3500
Engine Size
First pic is the "after"--as in "after being pressure washed" lol.

Despite the "patina", the truck is amazingly rust-free--but I need to address the missing paint before winter comes around.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Welcome!

I'll be keeping an eye on what you're doing as some of it pertains to what I'll be doing too. And I look forward to seeing some of your restoration work.

I have the name issue too. Thought I would get crap for it. These guys and girls are not shallow thankfully.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Welcome from N. Texas!